Help - Cider Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29Savoy

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a small (2.5gal) batch of cider from pasteurized store bought cider which also had some potassium sorbate and malic acid added. I've done cider from juice with these preservatives before and it worked. I gave it a 1.5 tsp dose of pectic enzyme 18 hours ahead of pitching a starter of Nottingham, boiled water and table sugar. I opted not to rack the must off the settled solids to minimize handling and risk infection. The starter proofed fine. I pitched the entire starter and fermentation started off OK. The usual yeast foam on top. Temp was about 68F. Next AM the bubbling wasn't happening. Gave the carboy a shake and went to work. 12 hours later no bubbles. I have a thin layer of what looks like the solids that settled on the bottom on the surface. There's plenty of fermentables 1.045SG. Not enough oxygen? Need yeast nutrient? Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

K-sorbate is a great inhibitor of fermentation. If you were able to ferment a cider despite this additive, then you hit the jackpot but expecting to be successful despite this is inhibitor is like expecting to win the lottery twice. Doesn't happen. K-sorbate is used by wine makers to prevent yeast cells from reproducing, so when they reach the end of their natural life they are the end of the line. But that said, there is a limit to the number of K-sorbate molecules. If you add enough yeast cells then it is theoretically possible to have enough cells to counter the preservative... It may take a half dozen or more packs of yeast.. Or more.

All reports I've read of people doing this say that the resulting cider tastes like crap. Injured yeast make off flavors that don't always age out. If you've done it before, what was the end result like?

Gents
Thanks for the advice so far. My previous batch of "grocery store" cider had some K sorbate but was made from cleared cider that was more processed and stored at room temp in the store. It fermented out dry and even had some fizz to it. Different yeast too. Too dry a taste for me. This batch is 100% juice stored in the refrig case. It has begun to ferment slowly now. Not much airlock activity - about one bubble every 75 seconds . Now some bubbles in the film on top. Slow but steady for 12hours. But the idea of damaged / injured yeast is concerning.

The rest of the story on this batch is that the fermentation started slow and proceeded slow. What K-sorbate there was probably delayed the process. It was the better part of 3 weeks before the primary was over. I let the secondary go two weeks to get the cider clear. ABV was about 4.5% and it still had the residual sweetness I was looking for at bottling. I went light on priming and it's been aging about 2 weeks now. Would definitely use Notty again.

I've gotten too damned old to be roaming Vermont back roads and pulling fruit from feral apple trees. I now buy my apple juice from the market too. If you have a COSTCO near you, see if they have Kirkland brand not-from-concentrate apple juice, with no preservatives. It comes as a two one gallon pack. It's not the same as pressing your own, but it's a lot easier and fermentation starts off with a bang.

Back