Adding coffee aroma & flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortIfied

Reaction score
I decided for my third brew I wanted to aim for a breakfast type porter. I ordered and plan on using Midwests power pack porter for my base.

I'm adding 4oz of unsweetened pure cocoa for extra chocolate and want to add a note of coffee, not too strong, but I want the aroma and taste to come through just enough where it's not masked by the chocolate.

Any advice on this? I've never aimed for a coffee hint and any suggestions would be great!

Throw a couple of ounces of ground coffee in at the end of the boil. I used 2oz in a breakfast stout brewed a few weeks ago and the samples have tasted great so far.

I would not add it to the boil. The oils will boil out and create an off flavor that is not desirable. I did a bourbon-coffee porter that I cold steeped the beans & bourdon in the fridge for 72 hours and then added to the bottling bucket. Just use water instead of bourbon and grind the beans coursely. You should be good.

I did a great coffee stout last year that I used a grain bag to put about 4 oz of expresso grounds in the secondary for a week. It really gets the coffee aroma across and just the right hint of flavor.

Back