biab keggle basket size???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy9991

Reaction score
i'm new to all grain brewing and i just bought all the fittings to build my first keggle. i plan on doing 5 gallon biab batches and want to use a steamer basket to avoid all headaches with a torn or burnt bag. im wondering what steamer baksets other people are using for keggles? should i even bother with a steamer basket or will voile fabric hold 20+ pounds of grain?

20 pounds of grain sounds like a lot for a 5 gallon batch? I know voile will hold 11.5 pounds (of wet grain) with no problem.

You need room to stir and don't want to crowd the grains. From the steamer baskets I've seen in restaurant supply stores, one small enough to fit in a keggle would scarce have stirring room for 5 pounds, IMO.

cool, my only concern is scorching the bag when heating during the mash. I don't plan on recirc or having a hlt, and the 20 lbs was just a maximum count, because i plan on doing some big beers down the road. also, the batch ill be doing soon is going to be a lager type beer and im wondering what temp i should mash at. grain bill is 7 lbs 6row, 3 lbs flaked rice, 1 lb caramel 20, 1 lb pilsner. hops are .5 oz magnum at 60 1 oz saaz at 15 and 1 oz saaz at 5. Is this hop sched good for a light drinking beer? im personally a hop head but im trying to make a crowd pleaser. Any advice is much appreciated.

I just pick up my bag and hold it just off the bottom of the kettle while i refire (when I do need to refire). I've thought about one of these as well, but it's not really necessary.

41-1ajhyQdL._SX450_.jpg

You could just get a false bottom. Look up user JAYBIRD here on the forum. He makes a standard keggle false bottom that will keep your grain bag 2-3" off the bottom.

yeah ive thought about that but im pretty tapped out as it is after the keggle build and buying a banjo burner and yada yada, all the rest im sure you know how it goes. just trying to avoid more expenses until i really need to

I have done four biab keggle batches. I burned my viole bag on my last batch which had a little more than 15 pounds of grain. I can fix the bag, and am looking for a stainless collander to put in the keggle to keep the bag off the bottom.

Brewing in CT in my garage in January and Febraury has shown me that a keggle loses heat (6-7 DEGREES) in a half hour. I have it wrapped in reflective insulation, and the lid is insulated, but the bottom is not.

I've done several dozen BIAB batches and have never burnt a bag. I have sewn up three bags so as to have one ready for the 2nd batch on brew day w/out worrying about thouroughly cleanly the first- and then a 3rd in case one bursts, about which I've read, but fortunately haven't had occur. I double and triple sew the voile and have done just under 20# grainbills with no problems at all.
I use a ~15 gallon kettle that came with a basket, but I just don't see the need for it. Usually hit about 4 degrees above the target temp, cut flame, then insert bag, then grainbill, temp drops approx. the 4 degrees. Cover with blanket. Usually lose maybe 1-2 degrees if any over 60 mins. The few times I have had to refire a bit, I pull up on the bag at the top a bit so it is not stationary while being fired.
Unless you completely remove the inner keg ring, I don't see how you could get a large enough basket inside to be able to get a 15lb + bill around in it.
Just my thoughts.

Back