Hops for wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basti

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've brewed a few batches with kits but I think I'm ready to step up to better stuff. So I purchased a pound of Wheat Caramel Malt and some Bavarian Wheat Yeast (liquid).

So what else do I need to make a basic wheat? Can I just get some hops, or do I need both bittering and finishing hops? Please recommend what exactly to get and point me to a recipe if possible.

Thanks!
Basti

I've never used wheat caramel malt before. You wouldn't use it for a traditional Hefeweizen, I don't think, but perhaps it would make a good Dunkel (sorry, I don't have any tried and true recipes).

German wheat beers are usually hopped with low-AA noble hops...I like Hallertau. Shoot for ~12IBU's from bittering hops and skip flavor/aroma for a traditional product. The Bavarian yeast you bought and the flavors it imparts are what should really be showcased in this particular beverage.

For the Hallertau, should I get pellets, plugs, or loose hops?

By "flavor and aroma", do you mean finishing hops or something similar?

Is this all I need for a simple Hefe?

Thanks!

Get what you feel most comfortable with.

I prefer whole. If you use whole you need to add about 10% more than the recipe recommends.

Use 1 oz. Hallertau for bittering and that's all the hops you'll need for about 6 lbs DME.

If your recipe calls for more malt then add more hops.

Back