Thundercookie Gingerbread Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NarrowsBrewCo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So thinking my order would take awhile to actually show up, I decided to order this kit in prep for it to arrive in a week or so. I ordered it Thursday night and it already showed up at my door!

Not only that, but the ingredients are extremely fresh and well packaged. They even include small circular stickers with the brew name on them so you can slap em on the bottle caps so you know which is which.

Anyways...I'll post updates of this brew once I get going with it, I'll probably brew this week once I get some yeast and another carboy. But I just wanted to say Jasper's Homebrew so far has exceeded expectations and I can't wait to see how this beer turns out!

good luck

Please will you share, if you can work them out, the volume/weight of all the spices (including ginger) that are part of this recipe:mug:

Per the instructions you put the spices and chopped vanilla bean in a cup of vodka and let steep til bottling day. On bottling day dump that into the bottling bucket after straining the vanilla bean pieces out

There is no mention of sanitising the spice potion so I presume the vodka does takes care of that.

Yes vodka or usually any string alcohol has sanitizing properties...the same reason rubbing alcohol is used on wounds before bandaging...to kill any germs

I saw this recipe a couple months ago and was very intrigued. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Finally got around to brewing this..super easy brew, you do need a few extra things like molasses and vodka to soak the spices and vanilla bean.

Both hop additions were added a the start of the boil, so I got to hangout til it was done. Rydrsted the yeast, and this time it started right up...had fermentation within an hour and now 4 hours later a strong layer of Krausen is there and I may switch to a blowout tube.

The wort tasted of strong molasses with some bitterness. The end flavor should he awesome, especially when I add the spice potion before bottling.

Pics to come!

Switched the blowoff tube thus morning things were going crazy...things look a bit slower now so I'm back on the airlock...can't wait to taste this brew

This caught my eye! Drinkable in 6 weeks, with an ABV of 8.1% (big beers wooo) sounds awesome! Be sure to update on how this turned out.

Certainly...it had a strong molasses coffee flavor when I put the wort in the primary. The spices sit in a cup.of vodka which is all added at bottling...really hoping it turns out!

So any updates on this? Did you add the spice potion a day before bottling or the day of? I was looking at picking up this kit myself. I'm curious how evenly the spice potion will blend with the beer before bottling. The end result will undoubtedly be a thicker/syrupy consistency, even with regular shaking to break everything up.

Hey @WildernessBrewing I'm actually bottling this weekend. I'm gonna put in the spice potion at bottling.

I'm hoping it's not super syrup-y I'll let you know how it goes I should be bottling Sunday and I'll post some pics. The spice potion has been chilling for quite awhile now.

Hey so I'm bottling this weekend so I'll post an update then. I'm going to add the spice potion at bottling this first time around. The wort tasted great when it went into the primary but I didn't get a chance to try it before secondary.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Finally got this beast all bottled up, even threw some in a few spare bombers I had sitting around. Definitely had a great smell to it. The spice potion was interesting, I poured only the vodka portion which is what you're supposed to do. The strange part is all the spices had formed into this blob at the bottom of the jar, oh well.

Now I gotta wait this one out a few weeks before a taste test and pour. Wish me luck! Pics to come.

Did you use a yeast starter like they recommend or just rehydrate and pitch right in? I was interested in this recipe, but haven't done a starter yet and don't want to screw it up!!

I just rehydrated dry yeast and it took off just fine. I called them and asked about a yeast starter and he said dry works great. He said use a liquid yeast/starter if you're more specific on a certain yeast to put off certain flavors. I rehydrated the dry though and things went smoothly. Now I wait til it's ready

This sounds amazing.
Ill be brewing this up today.
Actually won a $50 check from a local radio station by telling them id spend the money on stuff to brew this. So i guess i owe them a few bottles.
Ill let yall know how the brew day goes

This sounds amazing.
Ill be brewing this up today.
Actually won a $50 check from a local radio station by telling them id spend the money on stuff to brew this. So i guess i owe them a few bottles.
Ill let yall know how the brew day goes

Awesome, yeah I'm losing patience while I wait for this to carb up in the bottle. Can't wait to try a test bottle in another week or so.

I have this kit on the way. So fired up. Did you use all of the priming sugar? 5 oz seems like a lot for a stout IMO. Sounds like all is going well

Yeah I used it all, I was thinking the same thing. It's been in the bottle 1 1/2 weeks right now. I'll be putting it in the fridge on Sunday then probably try one next weekend to see where it's at I'll post some pics

S-33 two packs re-hydrated.

I rehydrated two packs as well and it took off like crazy. Hopefully i can bottle this weekend.

20151019_185738.jpg

Just cracked my first bottle...spent 2 weeks in the bottle in the closet and a day in the fridge..I couldn't wait any longer. Beer was smooth with a chocolaty taste then some gingerbread flavor on the end. I'll post pics of the next I crack...gonna be soo good in a few more weeks!

Nice! After an extremely vigorous 48 hours of fermentation the Krausen is gone and no bubbling. Did you have the same experience?

Nice! After an extremely vigorous 48 hours of fermentation the Krausen is gone and no bubbling. Did you have the same experience?

Mine was crazy vigorous for about 48-72 hours then slowed down to nearly nothing.
This is day 9 and i just checked the gravity and its at 1.029...started at 1.084. Not nearly as low as i want it but we'll see as we get closer to the weekend. Taste delicious though.

Mine was crazy vigorous for about 48-72 hours then slowed down to nearly nothing.

This is day 9 and i just checked the gravity and its at 1.029...started at 1.084. Not nearly as low as i want it but we'll see as we get closer to the weekend. Taste delicious though.

Thanks for feedback. This is my 3rd 5 gallon batch and I bug out all the time. They've all gone well so not sure why i do. I'll do my first gravity reading on day 10.

About three weeks ago I bottled the Switchblade Jack Pumpkin Ale.. Tried one last week and it was spicy and sweet, definitely needs some time to meld. I also added an extra 1/2lb of brown sugar and 1lb of light DME and pitched two rehydrated packs of S-04 instead of one. It's coming along nicely and should be just right around Halloween.

Anyone here done any other kits from Jasper's? I'm looking at some of their Brown Ale kits to have something darker kegged for late autumn/winter.

Cracked my first one. Very tasty, smells like chocolate with a light taste of the spice potion. I'm really pleased how this one turned out. It's actually better when it's not ice cold, and it wasn't over carbonated. My brew yet!

View attachment 1445668953421.jpg

Back