Best deal on a stock pot + propane burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CltcPrd

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, I'm brand new to brewing. I've been thinking about getting into it for about 4 years but for one reason or another I haven't. I finally started getting serious in the last month and I'm looking to find good deals on all my equipment. I've already purchased "How to Brew" by Palmer and TCJOHB.

I found this set on my local classifieds for $100. Would this be a good starter for homebrewing? I'm concerned that the burner won't work for other pots that I might acquire though.

Anyone else know of good deals for SS pots + burners? The other pot i was looking at was $93 on its own.

Thanks,
Grant

CltcPrd said:
First of all, I'm brand new to brewing. I've been thinking about getting into it for about 4 years but for one reason or another I haven't. I finally started getting serious in the last month and I'm looking to find good deals on all my equipment. I've already purchased "How to Brew" by Palmer and TCJOHB.

I found this set on my local classifieds for $100. Would this be a good starter for homebrewing? I'm concerned that the burner won't work for other pots that I might acquire though.

Anyone else know of good deals for SS pots + burners? The other pot i was looking at was $93 on its own.

Thanks,
Grant

Costco had those for ~$80 last year, after Thanksgiving. Call around and see if you can find one. I got that, then ended up upgrading to a keggle but I still use the pot as my HLT. Despite what others will tell you, that burner will work nicely, even if it's not superfast.

Cheesefood said:
Costco had those for ~$80 last year, after Thanksgiving. Call around and see if you can find one. I got that, then ended up upgrading to a keggle but I still use the pot as my HLT. Despite what others will tell you, that burner will work nicely, even if it's not superfast.

Do you still use the burner? How do it work with other pots?

Most of the sets will come with an aluminum pot, and that's fine. Just get the biggest pot you can and get started.:)

You should be able to get a burner and 8gallon pot for $40.

I got one at Menard's (a regional Home Depot) for that price.

Sears even carries the ones for $10 that have a spigot on the front, which you kinda want to have since pouring 6 gallons from a stockpot sucks.

I wouldn't spend $100 on that thing you linked to because you're paying $60 extra for baskets and utensils that are useless to a brewer.

not sure if it was alum or ss, i was at walmart last weekend looking for a pot to do my first brew in and they had a big pallet of them in the middle of the isle. I ended up just using a friends spare burner and getting a 21qt pot for $10.

As far as using it with other pots in the future you should be fine. Ive used those burners do do things as little as 2 gallons (beer) to boiling 40lbs of crawfish.

the combo I bought at Menard's claimed it was a SS pot too.

one batch of beer later, and the normal aluminum oxidation that appeared proved otherwise.

also, there's NOTHING WRONG with brewing in aluminmum. off flavors are a myth. SS is slightly more durable than aluminum, but also doesn't transfer heat as efficiently.

Last winter the supermarket I shop at had a cheap turkey fryer kit for $49. After thanksgiving it dropped to $39. After Christmas it dropped to $29. After New years it dropped to $9.99! I ended up calling everyone I thought would be interested and bought the last six, two for my brewery, one for the mother in law, one for a friend and two for my LHBS...which resold them.

Mine's an Eastman Outdoors 7.5 gal Alum Stockpot/Burner Combo.....got it at Lowe's for $35. It was a good deal...I still use the pot, and have since cannabalized the burner and used it in my BrewStand. Makes a helluva controllable burner. Awesome.

If cost is a factor, keep in mind to following: you don't need an SS pot or burner.

However, if you stick with the hobby you will find yourself buying a bigger burner and a better (read thicker, bigger pot).

If you are planning to spend over $150 anyway on a turkey fryer kit then I would just buy the pot and burner separately and get good stuff to start with. Otherwise you are paying for stuff you won't use.

I use a slightly modified banjo KAB4 and a 4mm/8mm (that's sides/bottom thickness) 10 gal Al pot. Total for those was less that $150. Burner from amazon, and pot/lid from ebay.

I found a similar all-stainless kit on eBay for around $50 after shipping. Really thin pot, though, I'll probably need to replace it eventually.

That perforated insert came in handy with my last brew, an IPA with lots of whole hops. When the boil was finished I just lifted out the insert and all of the boiling hops came with it.

I got a 30 quart turkey fryer at walmart for $37.95 2 weeks ago. It works great, just get a good thermometer cause the one it comes with cant be trusted for anything below 180 degrees.

Only downside is that its an aluminum pot which takes a little more care.

dinks said:
I got a 30 quart turkey fryer at walmart for $37.95 2 weeks ago. It works great, just get a good thermometer cause the one it comes with cant be trusted for anything below 180 degrees.

Only downside is that its an aluminum pot which takes a little more care.

Actually, Alum requires less care than SS. You want your Alum to build up that black oxide layer, so you only should scrub it very little. SS on the other hand is much more durable and can be scrubbed more vigorously.

Back