My batch is done...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorson138

Reaction score
I started this batch around the end of september and bottled it up on 12-21. I have to say I am very happy with rhe results. The stuff had been done with ferment for a month or so and after using sparkalloid it dropped crystal clear. I am just over joyed with how it came out. It is good sweet mead. With some additional aging I can't help but believe it will be even better. TIME FOR ANOTHER BATCH!!! Thanks for answering questions and helping me along the way folks.

Just have to ask?
What type of honey?
How much?
What fermentation temperatures and nutrients?
ETC.
You know, all the dirty details that let's you say. "Yes, this is good"
And let others get there.

I used 20lbs raw local honey and mixed it with 4gallons of room temp water. I mixed the honey with 2 gallons until well disolved then added the other 2 gallons water.
Then I added energizer to the must and aerated vigorously with a paddle for 10+ minutes to oxygenate it. After I oxygenated the must I pitched 1 pack of the D47 yeast and stirred it into the must for a bit. I didn't make a starter at all. The mead was done about a month ago, I let it bulk age for about a month then I added a sparkalloid slurry and 2 wks later I could easily read a newspaper through it. On 12-21-09 I bottled it up and it turned out just the way I wanted it to. Good sweet mead! I gifted out a few bottles and so far I've only gotten one review but it was good... Waiting on other replies;) If anyone has other questions about what I did or didn't do... Shoot.

I started another batch on 12-24. I mixed 20lbs honey with 4 gallons water. This equals about 6 gallons. I put 2 gallons of water in fermentation bucket, added honey and mixed well. I then added 3tspns energizer, then 2 more gallons of water and aerated for several minutes by hand with a paddle. I then pitched 2 packs of D47 wine yeast.

I put this together at about 9:00pm and by early morning it was bubbling rapidly. I think I'll start 6 gallon batches from now on so I can be sure to have at least 5 gallons at the end after racking and samples etc.

Let me just say to any new folks reading this, do yourself a huge favor... DON'T get in a rush with your meads. Let it go until it is done. I know you don't want to wait... I know you want to drink it as soon as possible. Don't. If you want your finished mead to be something you can be proud to offer family and friends, give it absolutely all the time it needs. I am getting better with the patience needed to make mead. Still not perfect, but better! I'll keep trying to improve my patience as I make more batches and hopefully keep improving my batches. Good luck to everyone and keep making more. I hope everyone had happy holidays!

Back