Kegging and Lacing -- Why is my kegged beer getting phenomenal lacing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reverendnathan

Reaction score
Not a brag, but an inquiry: I haven't seen lacing like this in any of my bottled beers, certainly not in a production or bar-served beer. A dense layer of lacing, in some servings, such as this, a laced layer is so dense that you can not only tell where I stopped to take sips, but holding the empty glass to see through to the other side is hard because so much residual beer head is left behind to lace the side of the glass. I get something close to this in some bottled versions of my beer sometimes, but nothing quite like this, a beer that's been carbonated by a CO2 tank. But on the flipside, I've never been to a bar and see a commercial beer have this much to leave behind. Is this a superior serving, or does CO2 kegging make this a unique experience?

Interested to see the answers to this as well. The kolsch I just kegged is the same way, however I never got lacing like this from any other brew I kegged.

Hmmm...interesting, because I've noticed the exact opposite. Generally I get much better head retention and lacing from my bottled beers. Could it be that your draft system is configured much better than mine?

Lacing is sort of a side effect of head retention, good head retention comes from a combination of factors.... Really clean glassware, Conditioning time helps. Carapils/dextrine/flaked barley/wheat/oats, etc help too.

I actually posted about this in another thread, but your post made me think even more. I had this from my first kegging... I never made the connection that it could be related to the keg rather than the ingredients.. None of my bottled beer has ever been like this.

IMG_20120402_193442.jpg

Wow, I thought my lacing was pretty decent. I havent had lacing like this in my keg, but I havent carbed properly until now that I got my keezer setup. So it's probably the kegging.

549050_650631892146_83504494_31930580_1599319662_n.jpg

I always thought that head retention and lacing are largely a function of the amount of "unfermentables" and protiens in the beer. you can achieve the same level of carbonation by naturally carbonating or by force carbonating with CO2. Therefore, the method of carbonation is likely to have little effect on head retention and thus lacing.
I can carbonate both my bohemian pilsner and my belgian strong at 2.8 volumes, but my pilsner will have no where near the head retention of the belgian.

Latest posts

Back