A few beginner questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majocr

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time not only brewing cider, but anything for that matter.
I wanted to start simple, and, because I did this on a whim, have used less-than-top-shelf ingredients.

1. Baker's yeast
2. "Simply Apple" apple juice
3. Bendy straws and a glass of everclear (in place of an airlock)
4. Brown sugar

I am only making 1/2 gallon just to see how it goes.
I am also using cinnamon and cloves to flavor my cider, and will most likely be using a bit of vanilla extract as well (I love vanilla!).
What I would like to know is...

1. Should I add the spices before, during, or after fermentation?
2. How can I be sure that ALL of the yeast is at the bottom of the container when I go to siphon it off?
3. How should I go about making it sparkle? I don't want to risk breaking the bottle I am using for primary fermentation...Its not actually mine, just borrowed

First off,

Never ever use or talk about using "baker's yeast"
being your first post, it is a quick way to get flamed for making hooch under your bed at your mom's house !

with how small of a batch you are making I would not add any of the spices until you can get to a point where you are making at least 2-5 gallon batches,

If you can swing it, buy a packet of brewers yeast,
check here
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/yeast

also check out the Cider forum and the Recipe Database for better ideas/details on adding spices to you cider.

Welcome to HBT!!!

And Good luck with your Brew!!

Back