beer terminology

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
Since I don't speak English as native language, I'm really into learning all the terminology from brewing science and colloquial "beer language"...

For example, today I had a discussion with my girlfriend who is an English teacher about "HEAD" word.... She says that she never heard of it, and the only word she knows to describe the white foam on top of the beer is "FROTH"...

She's not a drinker, and she probably doesn't know this term.

Would I sound funny to a native English speaker if I say froth instead of head?

Yes you would. Head sort of implies a unified structure at the top of the beer while froth sounds like something that's blowing in the wind at the ocean.

I don't think that I would personally use the word "froth" to describe "head" because it would sound unappealing. Perhaps "foam" would be a more frequently used word by people who are not big beer drinkers.

I would know what you are talking about if you said froth, you could also call it foam. My circle of friends call it head though.

Edit: Well that's funny, I missed it by that much, go Queen City I guess.

Would it sound strange to most people? Yes. Would it still be accurate? Yes.

Main Entry: 1froth
Pronunciation: \ˈfrȯth\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural froths \ˈfrȯths, ˈfrȯthz\
Etymology: Middle English, from Old Norse frotha; akin to Old English āfrēothan to froth
Date: 14th century

1 a : bubbles formed in or on a liquid : foam b : a foamy slaver sometimes accompanying disease or exhaustion
2 : something resembling froth (as in being unsubstantial, worthless, or light and airy)

I've used "head" and "foam" interchangeably. I've never heard "froth" refer to beer.

Ex.

I really enjoy a stout from a nitro beer faucet. It leaves such a nice pill of foam on the beer.

When decanting from a bottle, I try to pour fairly aggressively to form a thick head on the pint.

'froth' is used when talking about cappuccino and those kind of drinks, it's 'head' or even 'foam' when talking about beer.

Nah it woudn't sound funny to me..I have a couple of British friends and we both speak English but I have no idea what the hell they are saying when they talk. For instance they say they are pissed which means they are drunk but in America when you are pissed you are mad at someone...lol

And if you don't use "head" to describe this.....then we can't all giggle like 14 year old boys and make jokes about "too much head," or "not enough head."

:D

I came in here just to make a joke about how convenient it is that a girlfriend wouldn't know what head means.

Thanks a lot, Revvy. :p

Teehee.

I don't think its out of place. I think froth, while not a verb generally refers to something that has been frothed (the verb). For instance, the milk in cappuccino. That would be froth. People might think you are implying that you are using some type of device to whip up a "froth" on the top of your beer. Other than head, foam is probably the most common word to describe it.

I'd use the word froth to describe something a bit thicker and smoother than the head on beer - like the froth in a cappuccino. Technically it's a correct word to use, but it would sound odd to most native english speakers.

I don't think that I would personally use the word "froth" to describe "head" because it would sound unappealing. Perhaps "foam" would be a more frequently used word by people who are not big beer drinkers.

I usually encounter "head" more in lay usage and "foam" more in technical/professional usage.

And if you don't use "head" to describe this.....then we can't all giggle like 14 year old boys and make jokes about "too much head," or "not enough head."

:D
Right...when was the last time you complained about getting too much "froth"?

I lived in Germany for 9 years. It was way back in the 70s when I realized there's a BIG difference between "English" and "Americanese" (as I label what we speak). It could be a cultural thing.

I also think you need to stir or whip up a froth as with cappucino and hot chocolate.

How about you guys from the UK? Do you use "froth" or "head"? :confused:

Right...when was the last time you complained about getting too much "froth"?

I lived in Germany for 9 years. It was way back in the 70s when I realized there's a BIG difference between "English" and "Americanese" (as I label what we speak). It could be a cultural thing.

I also think you need to stir or whip up a froth as with cappucino and hot chocolate.

How about you guys from the UK? Do you use "froth" or "head"? :confused:

Sadly my complaint has been not getting any froth in quite awhile. :eek:

Yeah....well there really aren't many "frother's" at brew pubs...or vintage base ball matches...or group brews....

*sigh*
I'll be retiring at the end of Feb...maybe March now that I'm going to Korea in Jan. I can't believe that WORK is getting in the way of me filling out my retirement paperwork...:mad:

Let me know if something is happening in PH next summer. If you put us up for the weekend we'll come visit and I'll bring a keg...I'd like to get up to Yooper's Cabin party sometime also....next summer maybe??? :D

Yooper's Cabin Ale...HEY LORENA!!!! I got a new name for your brew...:ban:

EDIT: Awww man...just thought of another one...Yooper's Mother's Cabin Ale - YMCA!!!!!

Uh, why don't you just call it head? You could tell her what it means. Problem solved.

You get froth in a cappuccino, foam inside your couch cushion and head on a beer.
Come to think about it, beer has a head, a nose and legs. I wonder what happened to it's ears?

I don't think he's asking for the correct terminology, but whether or not it would sound funny.

My question is what do you call it in your language? What does it translate to in English?

I know what you mean.

(A long time ago) I called my German girlfriend and her mother answered the phone. When I asked where she was her mother told me she was "*****ing". Surely, an odd thing to hear from your girlfriends mother, but in German "duschen" (sounds the same) means she was in the shower...:eek:

Back