New Replacement for March Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sure you're quoting the right model? I would venture a guess there is some miscommunication going on there since the base 809HS can be had just about anywhere online for the $130-140 range.

that was this item right here

0809-0196-0300 (809-PL-HS 115V 50/60Hz) Model
http://www.marchpump.com/documents/hot_wort_pumps.asp#0809-0196-0300 (809-PL-HS 115V 50/60Hz) Modell

part number taken from the march pump website and given to my rep. maybe he fubared and got the wrong model number when he quoted me, I but I figured I should surely be able to purchase cheaper than the brewing stores. when I told him they are selling online for $150 he said that was much cheaper then they were buying them for and now way he could price match.

-=Jason=-

http://www.marchpump.com/documents/hot_wort_pumps.asp#0809-0196-0300 (809-PL-HS 115V 50/60Hz) Modell

part number taken from the march pump website and given to my rep. maybe he fubared and got the wrong model number when he quoted me, I but I figured I should surely be able to purchase cheaper than the brewing stores. when I told him they are selling online for $150 he said that was much cheaper then they were buying them for and now way he could price match.

-=Jason=-

Tell him that makes you think you will have to start looking for other suppliers if they don't have the buying power to meet guys selling a couple dozen a year.

My guy must be getting pricing at the same place. I was quoted nearly the same at my local industrial supply where we get wholesale.

I was quoted close to $300 for a Little Giant 3MD when they were selling under $140 on ebay from the same place.

I just don't think these brick and mortar stores can compete with e-commerce on these.

March 809 pump was quoted me at $230... EEEEEKKK.... needless to say I am buying chugger pumps with SS heads
-=Jason=-

I'm not that rich to just buy without shopping around even with the same item.
Looks like you can buy two Chuggers with cash left over $$$ plus you'll have SS headed pumps, no plastic to break or threads ripped up.

I work for HD Supply Waterworks, our March Pump Representative for Arizona is "Phoenix Pumps" now normally we get a pretty good discount from our vendors and I can buy for 5% over my cost, but the March 809 pump was quoted me at $230... EEEEEKKK.... needless to say I am buying chugger pumps with SS heads

-=Jason=-

I assume that they quoted you the Stainless version which has a list price of $423

The 809 PL inline slow speed is listed at $147
809 PL HS is listed at $178

These are our standard pump setups that come with a junction box on the side and no mounting base. You would need to wire in your own cord. You can get a motor with a 3' cord that you still need to add your own plug on to and you can also get one with a mounting base but they are both a little extra $

And the distributors usuallly sell them below the list price. Sometimes its best to shop around and see who can get you the best price.

-Walter

-=Jason=-

Strange.....list price on that pump is $187...

-Walter

My guy must be getting pricing at the same place. I was quoted nearly the same at my local industrial supply where we get wholesale.

I was quoted close to $300 for a Little Giant 3MD when they were selling under $140 on ebay from the same place.

I just don't think these brick and mortar stores can compete with e-commerce on these.

Our series 3 pump that little giant based theirs off of is listed at $188 for the standard model (AC-3CP-MD). If you want a slightly better ball bearing motor and an impeller thats encapsulated in plastic so it doesnt come in contact with the liquid then go with the BC-3CP-MD which has a list of $290.50

-Walter

Walter, I read him the part number off your website I don't think your website has the SS head listed. the photo for this part number here 0809-0196-0300 does not have a SS head.

this pump wasn't even in his pricing catalog and he had to call me back with a price.

-=Jason=-

Strange.....list price on that pump is $187...

-Walter

well I think he quoted me the wrong pump then now way they are marking the price up that much.

I am calling again and they are checking pricing for me. since I now know list is $187.

this pump isn't in their pricing catalog so Elane has to call the factory.

-=Jason=-

Walter, I read him the part number off your website I don't think your website has the SS head listed. the photo for this part number here 0809-0196-0300 does not have a SS head.

this pump wasn't even in his pricing catalog and he had to call me back with a price.

-=Jason=-

No, i understand...its just strange they gave you such a price when like i stated it has a list price of $187...its our standard 809-PL-HS but this version has a 6' cord with plug on the end and also comes with a mounting base on the motor. Have a look at our distributor list and call a few different ones and see who gives you the best price. Hell you can even call McMaster as they carry our product line and can get any pump you may need as well. They may not have it listed in their system but if you give them that part number they can get it for you i believe.

http://www.marchpump.com/northamerican-distributor-list.htm

-Walter

Ok guys let me hopefully clear this up a little more as to the pricing Flowmaster got from Phoenix Pumps. I just got through talking with our sales manager and he informs me that the only CID (Chemical Industrial Distributor) we have that sells the beer pumps is Tri-state Pumps in Farmingdale NJ. We do have smaller beer distributors that you can find a list of here: http://www.marchpump.com/wortpump.htm
What likely happened is that since Phoenix Pumps does not normally sell the beer pumps they are probably getting a price from one of the smaller beer guys and marking it up a little for their profits. Either that or they are not meeting the minimum order requirement, since they probably dont sell enough of these to keep any in stock, and not getting a good discount on the pumps/shipping so the price may reflect that.
Hope that clears things up a tad.

-Walter

Phoenix Pumps just got back to me

1-23 pumps my cost is list $187 because its a "Beer" pump....

it gets good, this "Tri-State pumps" out of Farmington NJ is actually "Chuggerpumps.com"

it looks unless you are a beer distributer retail store or e-commerce you aren't getting a discount from March Pumps

bottom line is price and for $187 I can nearly get two Chuggers. yeah they aren't made in USA but the $87 dollar difference is more than enough to sway me on this one.

-=Jason=-

Phoenix Pumps just got back to me

1-23 pumps my cost is list $187 because its a "Beer" pump....

it gets good, this "Tri-State pumps" out of Farmington NJ is actually "Chuggerpumps.com"

it looks unless you are a beer distributer retail store or e-commerce you aren't getting a discount from March Pumps

bottom line is price and for $187 I can nearly get two Chuggers. yeah they aren't made in USA but the $87 dollar difference is more than enough to sway me on this one.

-=Jason=-

Yep! Chugger is done by one of our distributors! :D what-ya-gonna-do!
March does not sell direct...thats why i can only give out the list price on the pumps. Call Morebeer or any of the other distributors on that linki posted above and see if anyone else can get ya a better price then list. :)

-Walter

Walter,
how long should it take for a given distributor to order replacement March pump parts? Building up for a large order? The one in my area I ordered two replacement parts 12-9-2010, so far I haven't received a phone call. They did not answer their phone today I called before noon.
Everyone must be on holiday hours or closed my guess?

Walter,
how long should it take for a given distributor to order replacement March pump parts? Building up for a large order? The one in my area I ordered two replacement parts 12-9-2010, so far I haven't received a phone call. They did not answer their phone today I called before noon.
Everyone must be on holiday hours or closed my guess?

Couldn't tell ya how the individual distributors opperate. Some wait till they get a certain $$ amount before placing an order so they can take advantage of shipping discounts. We do however have most every part in stock here at the factory. What parts did you order?
We do occasionaly run out of inventory that we buy from outside sources....like motors or nuts/screws etc because it seems like the lead times keep growing. We buy some ball bearings for a shaded pole motor we build here in-house...the lead time for them has now grown to 57 weeks!!! :eek: Alot of company's are not keeping inventory on the shelves anymore and just making parts when an order comes in for them. We on the other hand have a set minimum we like to keep on hand of any given part and place orders when we reach that minimum...but when a lead time grows from what used to be 40 weeks to 57 weeks then there may be a period where we are out of stock... :(

-Walter

Walter,
you may be correct them waiting until a large order is assembled.
Only two items; 315 HF inpeller pt# 0809-0107-0200 list $24 quoted $19,
second item; 809 pump rear housing SS pt# 0809-0012-1000 quoted $10.
It's the holiday madness i'll check again next week this is not urgent.

Walter,
you may be correct with them waiting until a large order is assembled and sent in.
Only two items; 315 HF inpeller pt# 0809-0107-0200 list $24 quoted $19,
second item; 809 pump rear housing SS pt# 0809-0012-1000 quoted $10.
It's the holiday madness i'll check again next week this is not urgent.

We have plenty of those in stock...if you still dont have an answer on Monday give me a shout and i can check to see if they placed an order yet. We have had instances in the past with late/non paying distributors where their orders have been placed on "hold" till they get caught up..... :D

-Walter

Walter, again get out of there early for the New Years holiday if you can.

I contacted the local March distributor this morning finally as I found out one number is 6 years old and not used, second number we connected.
Was told to get back to them after the first of the year.
No worries the holiday season is in full swing I can wait.
Thanks Walter.

Walter, again get out of there early for the New Years holiday if you can.

That all depends on the slave drivers here! :D ;)

I contacted the local March distributor this morning finally as I found out one number is 6 years old and not used, second number we connected.
Was told to get back to them after the first of the year.
No worries the holiday season is in full swing I can wait.
Thanks Walter.

Who's the distributor you are dealing with?

I have had two calls from customers today telling me that the distributors are sending them direct to us for warranty returns....not the way it should be handled! :( All though we don't have any problems dealing with customers direct in respect to warranty issues, it makes things difficult when/if there's a credit that needs to be issued for any reason.
If any one has any problems dealing with one of our distributors, we would like to hear about it! Thanks

-Walter

I am very happy with my March 809 but am going to give this chugger pump a try...ordered it today and will see how well it performs.

I have a RIMS system and am planning on using the pump to transfer from my MLT to my brew kettle. Should work like a champ!

on monday I was told Chugger had maybe 30 pumps left until they get the next batch in. in which case the price is going up.

-=jason=-

Today I put the Chugger SS heads on my remaining two pumps (already had their SS head on 1 of my 3 pumps). I'll be brewing Sunday to try them out. I had no problems with the first SS head I put on, so I don't expect any problems with the other two.

I've been having a problem with the MLT pump losing prime on occassion, so I'll be curious if it fairs better with the SS head.

I tried to mount one of the Chugger pumps in place of one of my March pumps today, but it did not line up exactly the same. I use a SS hard line between the pumps, so it needed to be dead on for me to use it. I'll probably just try the Chugger pump stand-alone (not mounted) for my BK recirc or something just to give it a go.

Just as a side note, the High Flow impeller is available through Morebeer...you just have to go into the shopping cart and add item H315I into the "add item by skew" box....it's MSRP, so $24. I personally haven't been able to find it at a lesser price anywhere else....yet.

Just FYI.
:mug:

"MSRP" of $24 you should be able to get it at a lower cost, i'm still waiting for the local March distributor delivery I was quoted $19.

Yes, I agree it SHOULD be less, but I've been quoted $24 at each place in NC that I've asked....so, I guess I'm willing to spend an extra $5 to get it quickly.

I'm willing to hear about cheaper places that charge less....

The only advice i can give you guys is to look on our website and give one of our regional salesman in your area a call and see if they know who may have one instock.
http://www.marchpump.com/contact_us.htm

These guys know their distributors very well and should be able to point you in the right direction....someone may have parts instock...other may get better discount rates depending on what kind of volume they order...

-Walter

Got my ChuggerPump yesterday...got it mounted and plumbed and ready for a water test. Cant wait to give this one a go!

Now all thats left is getting some SS camlocks...

Back