Johnson Controls digital thermostat - $60

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
http://bit.ly/bPKYgC

Found this on eBay - the guy has 5 left at the time of my posting this thread. It's listed as new in factory packaging - after shipping comes to a few cents under $60. They look like they're $75 at Northern Brewer, etc.

Bought mine this morning and got same-day ship confirmation!

Wow, I wish I would have read that...

So how difficult is this thing going to be to wire? I plan on using it with a chest freezer.

:/

Question, do some people just cut the plug off the freezer and hard-wire it straight to that? I mean, I realize I'm altering the freezer at that point... but if I'm always going to use it for brewing purposes and I don't mind always having a thermostat wired in, what's the harm? Would leave me with a lot less excess wiring on the back, which would make me happy.

Sure, you could it it that way. Leave a foot or whatever you need at the freezer end and use what you cutoff as the input power plug to the controller. I suggest getting a strain relief (Home Depot/Lowes) to mount in the bottom that will hold the cords secure.

If you ever needed to get rid of the freezer and wanted it operating normally, you can pick up a replacement cord for cheap.

Question, do some people just cut the plug off the freezer and hard-wire it straight to that? I mean, I realize I'm altering the freezer at that point... but if I'm always going to use it for brewing purposes and I don't mind always having a thermostat wired in, what's the harm? Would leave me with a lot less excess wiring on the back, which would make me happy.
Hard wired mine in where the existing thermostat is. By-passed it using crimp on disconnects on the wires from the Ranco so that the existing cord and plug could be used. If I ever want to go back to it being a freezer, all I have to do is slip of my Ranco disconnects and put the freezer ones back on.

Back