Caramel cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tasted mine this weekend. Very much smells and tastes of vanilla, and I used 2oz at boil and 2oz at bottle. I'll cut both down to 1oz each next time I brew this.

It's only been in the bottle a week, still green, but not bad. Everyone but my roommate liked it as is, so all in all not bad.

I must say, I am dissapointed with my brew. I used the original recipe and used about 3 oz. of vanilla extract.

Taste like crap.... like cheap, imitation vanilla, which is exactly what I used. Next time around, I think I'll just drop a few fresh vanilla beans into the fermenter.

Now that was a close one... I have just gathered all the ingredients for this brew, including what I believe to be imitation vanilla extract but am now going to be ditching it for the real deal, I REALLY don't want this to screw up, sounds so good!
According to the beer recipator, this brew's bitterness comes out at 15 IBUs, does that sound about right?

Markusface said:
Now that was a close one... I have just gathered all the ingredients for this brew, including what I believe to be imitation vanilla extract but am now going to be ditching it for the real deal, I REALLY don't want this to screw up, sounds so good!
According to the beer recipator, this brew's bitterness comes out at 15 IBUs, does that sound about right?

It's not very bitter at all.

Yes, beware the vanilla. The success of this recipe is dependent on the quality of the vanilla. Go cheap and you'll hate it.

I used a different vanilla the second time and brewed this and it tasted completely different (not good)... never again... I'll definitely go back to the original brand...

Jester said:
I used a different vanilla the second time and brewed this and it tasted completely different (not good)... never again... I'll definitely go back to the original brand...

Which was...?

If you don't mind

Thanks

TUCK said:
Which was...?

If you don't mind

Thanks

I used local store-brand Real Vanilla Extract the first time, and the second time I used Real Bourbon Vanilla Extract from Costco. Both came out good.

Don't use imitation. It'll leave a funny taste in your mouth.

JoeRags said:
I must say, I am dissapointed with my brew. I used the original recipe and used about 3 oz. of vanilla extract.

Taste like crap.... like cheap, imitation vanilla, which is exactly what I used. Next time around, I think I'll just drop a few fresh vanilla beans into the fermenter.

Either that or just shove some in vodka. You'll probably get a better extraction, and given the price of Vanilla beans it's probably worth it.

Cheesefood said:
I used local store-brand Real Vanilla Extract the first time, and the second time I used Real Bourbon Vanilla Extract from Costco. Both came out good.

Don't use imitation. It'll leave a funny taste in your mouth.

Id definatley say beware the vanilla. I believe that mine was the so called "real Vanilla extract" from the local supermarket. Didnt add any till the secondary, the fermentation was the best Ive had to date by the way, I used 1/8 tsp of nutrient and Coopers yeast and it took of like a Juggernaut within a few minites!!

Anyway, came out of the primary like a smooth estery ale, Added 2 oz of extract and it was ruined. Gave it a nasty astringent taste that simply doesnt belong in beer. Its been conditioning a couple months now and still cant get it to improve. Lesson learned.

Well, since noone posted on this long thread in a week I thought I would. I will definatley be brewing this next week, cant wait. I read as many posts as I could, but my eyes started to go buggy. What I would like to know is if anyone did any kind of partial mash recipe with this? I just got a new mini mash tun and really want to try it out. Thanks.

Well, i am about to float a keg of this delicious brew. My only advice would be resist the urge to drink it early. i brewed mine the week before thanksgiving. I drank it too soon but it has been really good and getting better. when i gave the keg the old tip test i noticed there is about 5 beers or so left. that makes me sad as it is getting better with every day. Oh well, i guess i will have to make it again.

Is the Wyeast German Ale still the preferred yeast for this brew? I was thinking perhaps the Irish Ale 1084 would also be a good choice. Anyone have any comments on this?

JohnnyK68 said:
Is the Wyeast German Ale still the preferred yeast for this brew? I was thinking perhaps the Irish Ale 1084 would also be a good choice. Anyone have any comments on this?

I fermited mine on a british ale yeast cake (used for a brown ale) and it turned out great (Nice creamy texture with citrus aftertones and very clean finish). I hate to say it but we floated the keg tonight. It was only in there for a week.

I tweaked the recipe a bit and still working on some other changes.

But by all means
this is a great recipe Cheese and can't wait to do it again.

Well, it is brewed and fermenting nicely. However, I didnt use either the German Ale or the 1084, but I had to resort to a pack of Safale - 56. The 1084 was real old (I didnt realize when it was given to me) and I couldnt get it to start in a couple of days so I tossed it. The only things I had on hand were US-56, and Nottinghams, so I just used the safale. I will brew it again using the 1084 in time Im sure. I am still expecting it to be good.

Was everyones fermentaion a bit long with the original version of this recipe? It hasent been real long, but its been a week and there is still plenty of activity. I am looking real forward to this brew.

JohnnyK68 said:
Was everyones fermentaion a bit long with the original version of this recipe? It hasent been real long, but its been a week and there is still plenty of activity. I am looking real forward to this brew.

This time of year the challenge is to keep the wort warm enough. Sometimes the little buggers go back to sleep. Are your temps in line with the yeast?

olllllo said:
This time of year the challenge is to keep the wort warm enough. Sometimes the little buggers go back to sleep. Are your temps in line with the yeast?

Yep. Keep the room 64-68 all winter long, and in the summer the AC will do the same for it.
It has slowed down quite a bit from what it was, but the krausen hasent dropped it still has about 3" of foam on it.

JnJ said:
Dang, I'll have to brew this one. I'm only mad that I just looked at this thread for the first time today.

get to brewing.. you wont regret this one... I have brewed it twice and the second keg only lasted a week or so... people line up for this brew...

Cheesefood said:
Here's the final recipe that I'm brewing RIGHT NOW.

Malts
3 pounds extra light DME
3 pounds light wheat DME
1 pound Caramel 60L (steeped for 45 minutes at 150'-165')

Hops
1oz Cascade for bittering (60 minutes)
.5oz Saaz for flavor (20 minutes)
.5 oz Tettnang for aroma (end of boil)

Yeast
Wyeast German Ale

Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 minutes)
4oz Lactose @ 15 minutes
2 oz real vanilla extract

Priming
>1cup Lactose
4oz vanilla (Be careful! This may be too much vanilla for some people.)
1.5 cups light DME

I'm adding the Lactose in the last 15 minutes of the boil. I'll add the vanilla in the primary, because I don't want to risk losing any that bonds to the trub. So far, it smells fantastic but I'm still at the bittering hops boil. I think this should end up with a nice caramel flavor and a good hint (perhaps a suggestion size amount) of vanilla. I've had vanillas with way too much flavor and they tasted too much like candy. This should have a decent balance.

Notes: 11/4/05

So good. Can't even explain it - you simply must make this beer. I let it prime for almost 2 weeks before fridging it, then cracked one tonight after only about 30 hours. Great head, good lace, nice color, good body and nose. Pictures won't do it justice, but here's one anyways

cv.jpg
What is the purpose of the lactose?

OMG is this stuff GOOD! I just racked it tonight to the secondary, and the taste from the test cylinder was amazing. I was looking forward to it, and now thats an understatement. The vanilla (2oz) is very noticable but not overpowering. I probably will reduce the the vanilla at bottling to just another .5-1 oz. I do think that the original 6oz would be too much. But this stuff is flat out incredible. I am thinking of starting another batch before this one even hits the bottles.

knipknup said:
What is the purpose of the lactose?

In my oppinion it gives it that creme like body, and adds sweetness. I made the recipe just like it says (except I converted it to a PM) and I am glad I did. Like I said in above post only think I am changing is I am going to use less Vanilla at priming.

Hey, Just got back from the LHBS and got all the stuff i needed (minus what i had) to make this recipe... The guy kind of wondered why it needed so much lactose but he agreed that, cheese made it and it was good so why mess with it... We're going to try it after supper we're starting sanitzing now... However he didn't have Wyeast German Ale so he said the California Lager would act the same and I'm going to trust him... the flavor might end up a little different but I'll deal with it, after all it's only our third brew...

DeadYetiBrew said:
Hey, Just got back from the LHBS and got all the stuff i needed (minus what i had) to make this recipe... The guy kind of wondered why it needed so much lactose but he agreed that, cheese made it and it was good so why mess with it... We're going to try it after supper we're starting sanitzing now... However he didn't have Wyeast German Ale so he said the California Lager would act the same and I'm going to trust him... the flavor might end up a little different but I'll deal with it, after all it's only our third brew...

Originally I wanted to use the WLP008 but my LHBS didn't stock White Labs, so the German was recommended. Let me know how the Cali works out.

As for the person who asked about the lactose, it's an unfermentable sugar that adds body and sweetness.

Cheesefood said:
Originally I wanted to use the WLP008 but my LHBS didn't stock White Labs, so the German was recommended. Let me know how the Cali works out.

As for the person who asked about the lactose, it's an unfermentable sugar that adds body and sweetness.

We'll be your guinea pigs in more ways than one. (spose that belongs in the 'things that sound dirty but aren't' thread too) Not only a different kind of yeast but I added the Lactose with the Vanilla and Cascade when the wort returned to boil after adding DME (stupid electric stoves take forever)... My LHBS guy said it doesn't matter when you add the Lactose so i figure why not? Tell you one thing, this is one of the best smelling brews i've made (well it's the 3rd brew i've made).

the total came to $50.80 (i got some more sanitizer) and i only had 50 in cash, so he said if i bring him a bottle of this brew he'd call it even (he was so intrigued by the recipe)... We told him sure thing and told him he's getting some of the others too... Ah, the community that is homebrewing.

Update: Everything went very well... we did however forget to pickup an extra airlock (the bottling bucket wasn't planned to be a primary)... However i created a blow-off tube with our bottling tube, fit perfectly into the bottling buckets air-hole... This is a beautiful looking wort... Pitched the yeast, yadda yadda, just waiting for the little buggers to start feasting...

BTW... does 1.052 sound about right for an OG?

OK, I do have one question that Im sure was gone over before, I just dont want to reread the whole thread, and was hoping someone could answer this. Since wheat dosent clear all to well, how long did you guys leave this in the secondary? I was thinking a week to 10 days.

DeadYetiBrew said:
Update: Everything went very well... we did however forget to pickup an extra airlock (the bottling bucket wasn't planned to be a primary)... However i created a blow-off tube with our bottling tube, fit perfectly into the bottling buckets air-hole... This is a beautiful looking wort... Pitched the yeast, yadda yadda, just waiting for the little buggers to start feasting...

BTW... does 1.052 sound about right for an OG?

1.052 sounds about right. This isn't very high grav.

JohnnyK68 said:
OK, I do have one question that Im sure was gone over before, I just dont want to reread the whole thread, and was hoping someone could answer this. Since wheat dosent clear all to well, how long did you guys leave this in the secondary? I was thinking a week to 10 days.

1 week in primary
2 weeks in secondary
3 weeks in the bottle
----------------
123 Brewing Method

I seem to have a big problem picking my next brew. I'll think about it for a few days, then run to the LHBS and use one of theirs at the spur of the moment (which mostly haven't been too sucessful). I have heard nothing but good things about this one, so I'm going to brew it (next weekend maybe).

I don't think my LHBS has wheat DME, so I'll probably be substituting LME for that part, but other than that, it should be pretty much be the same.

shbrewer said:
Where do i find light wheat DME. All I have found is just Wheat DME, is that the same?. Will that make a major difference?

The only difference is color... Yours will be a little darker than his, pretty sure i used regular Wheat DME too... It still wasn't very dark and looked great... Don't worry about being exact as long as it's not Extra Dark Wheat DME lol...

McKBrew said:
I seem to have a big problem picking my next brew. I'll think about it for a few days, then run to the LHBS and use one of theirs at the spur of the moment (which mostly haven't been too sucessful). I have heard nothing but good things about this one, so I'm going to brew it (next weekend maybe).

I don't think my LHBS has wheat DME, so I'll probably be substituting LME for that part, but other than that, it should be pretty much be the same.

You never know till you ask them. Some of the stuff I thought my LHBS wouldn't have he's had, and I thougt he would have the yeast pack I needed for this recipe, but didn't. So you could always call them and tell them what you need they could have some shipped in before you plan to brew.

shbrewer said:
Where do i find light wheat DME. All I have found is just Wheat DME, is that the same?. Will that make a major difference?

I used plain M&F wheat and I think I got the same color as the pic. This is some highly anticipated stuff around here with myself and a few friends. I hope its as good as it smelled and the test cylinder sample was. I personally am thinking it will be better.

Treekiller said:
Well... Just taped my all grain version of Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale. I have to say this is an absolutely wounderful beer. I will definately be brewing this again.
Thank you Cheese for puting this recipe on the forum for all to share, again outstanding brew.

Okay guys and gals. I see and hear references to AG successes with this recipe, but I've yet to see the "definitive" AG recipe. Can anyone please post what they think is the AG version?

You all have me chomping at the bit, but I've just converted over to AG and want to give this one a try. :cross:

Back