Ferm Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cregan13

Reaction score
Just a paranoia question, I hope. I had my lager ferming nicely in my garage fridge on California Lager Yeat at 60 degrees. I went to the beach for the weekend and came home to find my fridge had been off for, I am guessing, around 24 hours. The electric company has come and fixed the faulty line, but my carboy reached 78 degrees for somewhere up to 24 hours. What do you think this is going to do to the taste of my beer?

Just a paranoia question, I hope. I had my lager ferming nicely in my garage fridge on California Lager Yeat at 60 degrees. I went to the beach for the weekend and came home to find my fridge had been off for, I am guessing, around 24 hours. The electric company has come and fixed the faulty line, but my carboy reached 78 degrees for somewhere up to 24 hours. What do you think this is going to do to the taste of my beer?

If the fermentation in 60F was long enough to ferment, lets say, 70% of sugars, you wont even notice the difference. If not, you will get some more fruit flavours, I guess. No big deal, don't worry, let the fementation finish warm. If you cool back it rapidly do 60F, I'm afraid the yeast will flocculate pramaturely.

It had been in the fridge for almost almost exactly a week. I already have it back down to 63 (down 20ish degrees in around 10 hours). The O.G. was 1.046 and I haven't taken another gravity yet as the bubbler was, and is, still active. The Krausen had not fallen yet, although, when I checked it this morning it was on it's way down. Advice appreciated.

It had been in the fridge for almost almost exactly a week. I already have it back down to 63 (down 20ish degrees in around 10 hours). The O.G. was 1.046 and I haven't taken another gravity yet as the bubbler was, and is, still active. The Krausen had not fallen yet, although, when I checked it this morning it was on it's way down. Advice appreciated.

Theory says, if the temperature falls down more than 10F/day the yeast start to flocculate. Obviously they did not, at least most of them - lucky you. Continue the fermentation.
I've never had such experience, I guess such episode will leave some traces in the taste of the beer, I hope no more serius than, for instance, warm pitching.

Back