Is my beer bad, should I throw it out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I made a really nice tasting wheat beer about 6 weeks ago and I was pretty happy with it. After sampling many of the beers and in a moment of human/canine bonding I poured a little bit into a bowl and gave it to my dog. He sniffed it and then walked away. Mind you, this is the same dog that will eat a whole soccer field of goose poop if I let him. So if a crap eating dog won't drink my beer, should I toss it? :drunk:

OK, who is smarter: you or the dog? :D

I have heard that hops can screw up a dog pretty badly (in decent quantities). Maybe the dog's natural defenses were saying "don't do it!".

Or....could be he's a lager dog.

Just like most of us that took our first swig or sniff of beer, I think he just needs a little time to come around. Maybe get his taste buds a little loose with some Jack 'n Coke before introducing the beer. Afterall, that's how we all finally accepted beer, right?

*If there happens to be any PETA members on these forums, I'm totally kidding about getting the dog drunk. Well, maybe 1/2 joking. Maybe 1/4 joking.

Dogs learn from drinking alcohol, people don't. IOTW, dogs get a hangover once, then never touch the stuff again. Your dog probably got into some beer in the past and has learned it is poison.

Dogs learn from drinking alcohol, people don't. IOTW, dogs get a hangover once, then never touch the stuff again. Your dog probably got into some beer in the past and has learned it is poison.

You're kidding, right? :)
My dog will happily eat his own puke (containing the thing that just made him puke.) If that doesn't constitute "not learning" then I don't know what does.

You're kidding, right? :)
My dog will happily eat his own puke (containing the thing that just made him puke.) If that doesn't constitute "not learning" then I don't know what does.

Hahahahaha! That was laugh out loud funny! Thanks for the laugh. :D

This is a silly question. How does it taste to YOU!? Who cares if your dog doesn't like it? Unless he's BJCP certified....

I have a lab. They will eat or drink anything. He actually will eat rocks and pebbles, sticks and deer poop.

I do have to admit that he loves my beer and stands under the kegerator hoping for a wayward splash. I've learned that he's not exactly discriminating. He probably prefers the deer poop.

My husband caught him licking the faucets today. Don't tell anybody who comes over here and drinks beer, because that is pretty gross.

Yoop, I was hoping to get together with you this summer and swap some brews. Now, not so much. ;)

Perhaps he's trying to improve your brewing process.

My dog wouldn't drink any of my brews until I started fly sparging. Clearly, he wanted me to improve my lauter efficiency. Lil' punk thinks he's soooooooo smart...

Disclaimer: I don't actually have a dog, nor do I fly sparge.

Back