Recipe Wanted for Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
Does anyone have an all-grain recipe for Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale?

This beer is turning out to be one of my favorite commerical beers.

It's even better on cask, my wife usually hates pale ales but fell in love with it at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese in London.

this might get you close. I found it at http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/search.php?t=5022
The recipe is based on the information published in the Real Ale Almanac by Roger Protz

QUOTE:

OLD BREWERY BITTER Samuel Smith Tadcaster.

25 litre batch OG 1037 ABV 4% 27 EBU

MARIS OTTER PALE MALT 3550 gms
CRYSTAL MALT 354 gms

HOPS boil time 90 minutes
FUGGLES 26 gms
GOLDINGS 27 gms

Anyone who has sampled Old Brewery will know the predominant taste is of TOFFEE.Sam Smiths says this comes from the yeast.To replicate this in homebrewing I use a technique I picked up in ZYMURGY magazine.Take 2 pints of UNHOPPED wort from your boiler and heat in a saucepan on the stove,It must be boiled vigorously on a high heat, STIR CONTINUOUSLY to avoid burning, within about 15 minutes the wort will start to thicken to a syrupy consitency and the desired caramel flavours should be apparent add this syrup to the main batch of wort in your boiler.

If you can still obtain BREW LABS YORKSHIRE ALE Yeast use that.

END QUOTE

Note that White Labs sells their "Yorkshire Square" yeast (WLP037) which is supposed to be the Sam Smith's yeast, but it's one of their special seasonal offerings. I think it's available in November and December

Yes, this ale has a somewhat unique flavor that I couldn't put my finger on. Thanks for pointing this out. I wouldn't have thought of boiling down a small portion of wort to produce this flavor. The yeast might be the hard item to find. Thanks for your input.

Back