Dry Hop Timing Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonecitybrewco

Reaction score
I am having some trouble finding a specific information pertaining to the timing of adding dry hops concerning finings (like gelatin) and cold crashing.

Everything I can find states most people cold crash after their dry hops. To me, this doesn't make sense as the yeast can strip quite a bit of the aroma from the dry hop. Along this line of thinking, would this not make a whirlpool addition redundant in terms of aroma addition as well? Trying to figure out the best process and whether cold crashing/fining an IPA is even worth it? The last time I followed the following process for dry hopping.

Normal process would be:

Allow fermentation to finish.
Dry hop additions
Cold crash
Add gelatin
Wait 1-2 days
Package

I believe that doing the dry hop first stripped any of the additions from the dry hop out.

Has anyone got experience specifically as it pertains to cold crashing and fining and dry hopping and what kind of schedule you're following and your results? Are you cold crashing and fining BEFORE dry hopping? That makes way more sense to me. Heck, not even sure if cold crashing and fining is worth it with a super floccing yeast?

Any thoughts here?

I've never used finings, but 'clear beer' just isn't a factor for me. Back when I bottled, I cold crashed every batch because it cut the yeast in the bottle back drastically.

As it relates to dry hopping, I have dry hopped both before and after a cold crash. There is some difference, but not huge. I usually dry hop before the cold crash though, just because it is more convenient in my process. The only time I dry hop afterwards is if I know that the beer will be consumed on a specific day. Then I will dry hop in the serving keg.

I'm definitely not the expert here, but I think of the fermentation process stripping the hop aroma more than the yeast themselves. i.e. the offgassing CO2 carrying aroma away. If fermentation is complete and you are crashing, I don't think it would have a significant effect either way on the dry hops.

That being said, the temperature will have an effect. Dry hopping at room temp for a 4 days, then cold crashing and packaging will be way different than dry hopping and cold crashing at the same time over the same time span.

I have a general question that might be able to be answered here. If I was going to dry hop 4 days prior to cold crashing, would I remove the hops added for dry hopping prior to cold crashing, or just leave them in throughout the dry hop and cold crash process? I will be placing the hops in a mesh stainless steel container so they would be able to be removed after I am done dry hopping.

i don't think it will matter either way.

personally i would leave it, mess with it as little as possible.

I do not cold crash IPA's. Mind blowing aroma is my main goal so why would I jeopardize that. Just drink it cloudy.

I definitely notice a diminishment of hop aroma as the beer clears in the keg.

If anything this would suggest crash then dry hop.

Today's Brulosophy exBEERiment Dry hopping during fermentation vs after. sorry they did not use fining.

http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/23/biotransformation-vs-standard-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/

I have done both and have not noticed a real difference other than appearance. I have also used BioFine Clear a few times and still get strong Hop aroma.

may also find this article interesting on the effects of filtering on hop aroma, have not seen one for Fining agents yet.
https://hopsteiner.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/2016-10_TS_Filtration.pdf

Thanks for the info. Will definitely read the whole thing when I get a minute. Suffice it to say, I don't know that it's worth cold crashing. It is US-05 after all and will still be clean.

Back