Molé Stout Help! (Chili Additions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TR34TM3NT

Reaction score
I have brewed an 1.070 OG american stout that I want to rack onto some molé ingredients. I haven't checked yet, but by now it should be around the expected FG (1.016) and ready for secondary.

I've never worked with chilies in beer before, so I sourced many other molé stout and chili beer recipes to get an idea of how much to add. Still not sure if this seems right.

These are my preliminary amounts:
1x Cinnamon stick
2oz Cocoa Nibs
.5oz Ancho Chili
.25oz Pasilla Chili
.25oz Chipotle Chili
.25oz Almond Extract (maybe)

Before I sanitize all of these in alcohol for a few days, I wanted to get some opinions on the amounts. I don't want this beer to be overly hot, just want some mild warmth and spice. (note: chilies are already dehydrated so roasting is not an option)

Also, would there be any disadvantage in adding all of this directly to keg so I can taste it along the way?

Thanks! :mug:

I have a chocolate chipotle beer currently sitting on 3oz cocoa nibs (ground fine). I added 6 whole chipotles at the end of the boil and left them in for two weeks, and it has a good spice level. I was going for a mole type beer. I added some crystal 80 to give a raisin flavor, as I put raisins in my mole.

A Left hand Fade to Black clone had 1.5 oz. per 5G, so you probably could go a little heavier.

But, I would start conservative.

QuercusMax said:
I have a chocolate chipotle beer currently sitting on 3oz cocoa nibs (ground fine). I added 6 whole chipotles at the end of the boil and left them in for two weeks, and it has a good spice level. I was going for a mole type beer. I added some crystal 80 to give a raisin flavor, as I put raisins in my mole.

Good to know! Mine also has some 80L, and I think I will up my cocoa nibs to 3oz as well.

Back