Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he means you can get away with using a 10 gallon pot for a 5 gallon full-boil most of the time, unless maybe it's a bigger beer. However, for a 10 gallon batch, you need a 15 gallon pot.

hit the nail on the head kyle.

It isn't like a 15g pot is that much more expensive.

If you ever do a barley wine... or a 10g brew you will regret your 7.5 or 10g pot. 15g will grow with you...

CidahMastah said:
hit the nail on the head kyle.

It isn't like a 15g pot is that much more expensive.

If you ever do a barley wine... or a 10g brew you will regret your 7.5 or 10g pot. 15g will grow with you...

I won't regret it, it will just be time to upgrade. Not a big deal.

I can see where you're coming from on AG batches, but again, for partial mash and extract+steeping recipes, if you add the extract late (I add mine immediately after boil), coloring shouldn't be affected, and I actually have to scale back hop additions to keep the ibus from getting out of control when late-adding the extract.

you are right on the coloring aspect, but I noticed better color when doing late additions in both, so maybe coloring is not that important. But the flavor difference between partial boil vs full boil cannot be argued. I saw a bigger difference in the quality of my flavor when i switch to full vs partial than when i switched from extract to AG. I promise you that if you made the same beer and did one partial and one full, the full would taste much better (all things being the same)

I borrowed a buddy's Blichman for my last two brews... Damn nice kettles, but personally I don't think I can justify the expense. I really dug the cheaper aluminum options mentioned earlier in this thread.

Can anyone tell me if there are any kind of corrosive or other issues involved with putting either a SS or nickel plated brass fitting onto an aluminum pot? I know it's better to keep like metals with like, but I can't think of anywhere I've seen aluminum fittings....

If you buy a 9-10 gallon pot it would get you by for most 5 gallon batches and when/ if you upgrade to a 15 gallon you can always use the smaller pot for a HLT.

I borrowed a buddy's Blichman for my last two brews... Damn nice kettles, but personally I don't think I can justify the expense. I really dug the cheaper aluminum options mentioned earlier in this thread.

Can anyone tell me if there are any kind of corrosive or other issues involved with putting either a SS or nickel plated brass fitting onto an aluminum pot? I know it's better to keep like metals with like, but I can't think of anywhere I've seen aluminum fittings....

I would definitely buy one if I had extra money laying around and I didn't have anything else to buy but they are definitely over priced. They are very nice looking but you can get a 10 gallon pot with thermo, sight and ball valve for $200 less.

i was looking on sams club's website and they had a 40qt aluminum pot for around 58 bucks or so. the 60qt was almost 70 I think. I only do 5 gal AG batches so I think i'm going to just get the 40qt one eventually. I've been using my 32qt aluminum pot that came with the turkey fryer and it does OK but it's a tight fit and I know I won't be able to do any high gravity batches with it.

i was looking on sams club's website and they had a 40qt aluminum pot for around 58 bucks or so. the 60qt was almost 70 I think. I only do 5 gal AG batches so I think i'm going to just get the 40qt one eventually. I've been using my 32qt aluminum pot that came with the turkey fryer and it does OK but it's a tight fit and I know I won't be able to do any high gravity batches with it.

Why would you bother upgrading from 32qt to 40qt? The difference in size will be barely noticeable. You are telling me $~10 more for 20qts larger of a pot isn't worth it? Man I just don't get it....

Back