update on oaked IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I had a thread about this a while ago. I decided to soak about an ounce of oak chips for several hours in bourbon + water, then steam them 20 minutes in that liquid (Lord, did that make the kitchen smell good), then add them with the dry hops (Columbus) to an IPA for about 10 days.

I tasted the first bottle just now, conditioned 16 days (primed w/ DME).

Observations...

1. This is going to be a spectacular beer. It was an extract brew, with a pound of caramunich, and hopped with centennial, columbus and cascade. I really, really, like Columbus. (Feeling very glad I bought a pound of it this spring.)

2. The oak is surprisingly subtle. Right now, the columbus hops are the dominant flavor, even over the oak. I think soaking the oak chips makes a huge difference--roughly the difference between being conditioned in a new oak vs an old oak barrell. I may even experiment with a little more oak chips next time I try this: maybe soaked in pure bourbon instead.

3. The bourbon is a barely detectable note in the overall flavor, since there is already a fair amount of sweetness from the caramunich. But I think I can taste it.

4. This has me really jazzed about the all columbus APA I'm about to brew, but the combination of the piney and intense columbus with the more grapefruity centennial and cascade is very nice.

Dude said:
Well post the freaking recipe then!

It was an impromptu session at a friend's house, but I'm pretty sure I can reconstruct the recipe.

Rather than take the trouble, I'll ask hime about it: I'm pretty sure he has it.

Here's what I know:

1 lb Caramunich (steeped)
9 lbs light LME

Columbus + Centennial bittering
centennial + cascade 20 minutes
columbus + cascade at flameout
Dry hop (I used columbus, I think he used WIllamette--he substituted Willamette for some of the kettle hops, too)

Not sure on exact amounts, but I'd say this has IBUs around 60, gravity in the high 60s. Mine finished a little higher than I expected, about 1.016.

WLP001 Cali ale

Well, I was making my Dog Days of Summer Ale and decided to try the same thing. I used about 90% Jim Beam and 10% water. I soaked ~4 oz of light toasted oak chips in the mix for 3hrs. Wife called it red-neck potpourri..hehe. I then steamed it for ~15min. Your right about the smell...wow.

ANyway, here is the recipe. I dropped the oak chips in with the dry hops and racked onto it Saturday afternoon.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.30 lb Amber Liquid Extract (4.0 SRM) Extract 90.3 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.7 %
1.00 oz Centennial [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 23.8 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [8.50%] (20 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [8.50%] (5 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [8.50%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
4.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 10.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.6 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 %
Bitterness: 39.8 IBU Calories: 294 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.8 SRM Color: Color

cweston, did your friend ever get back to you with the recipe? did you keep the oak chips in for 10 days during the primary or the secondary?

Latest posts

Back