Columbus or Chinook in an American Brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
Opinions, please. Would you use Columbus or Chinook in an American Brown Ale? What hops would you pair each with? (Let's say you had to choose only one hop variety, rather than a complicated blend.) Would you pair them with each other?

As I envision this beer, it will be fairly malt forward, possibly mashed high, and fermented with 1272, American Ale II.

Would you pair them with each other?

Yes I would.

Resiny, piney, and dank. I love these hops. I'm particularly fond of Columbus with roasted malts. Both hops are bold and show through just about anything. These are a better choice, IMO, for browns and darker beers than the more typical citrusy hops like cascade, centennial, amarillo, etc.

Columbus would be really cool, kind of like Terrapin Hop Karma. Love the citrus and dark malts together.

I used Mt Ranier for aroma in my last brown ale and it was really cool. Lots of tangerine and licorice, which may not sound good, but really works well with darker beers.

Colombus and Fuggles make for a nice pairing in a brown ale I brew. Ive also used Chinook and Willamette in a barleywine and it came out awesome. I like some hop 'funk' in my dark beers. Goldings would work well with either Colombus or Chinook I expect.

Back