More malt extract = more hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
If I double the malt extract to increase the ABV, do I have to add extra hops to balance the flavour out? Or if I add 2 cans of hopped malt extract instead of 1 can will it be too bitter?

Yes, doubling the extract without increasing the hops would make a very unbalanced beer IMO. Hopped extract will definitely help, and I don't think you could make anything too bitter using only pre-hopped extract.

I've had a few people tell me that if I use 2 cans of hopped LME in a 5 gallon batch then it will be too bitter.

besides, straight doubling extract just to increase ABV sounds like you just want to make a stronger beer. try a different recipe.

This graph should show you the relationship between malt and hops

hopsgraph.jpg

I've had a few people tell me that if I use 2 cans of hopped LME in a 5 gallon batch then it will be too bitter.

I've only made a few pre-hopped extract kits, and I never had one that even approached what I'd consider bitter. Usually they were not bitter enough for my liking and I still added some hops, but then again I tend to prefer APAs and IPAs. I guess what I'm saying is that "too bitter" is a matter of opinion.

Hey, I did a Black Rock IPA, and added an extra can of unhopped light malt, then after initial fermentation was over added 60g of hops (just the Brewcraft "teabag" ones). I haven't bottled it yet, and I tasted a sample the other night and it was definitely not bitter enough for me. Give I was aiming for an Epic Pale Ale it's a failure. Oh well, it's my first time experimenting though.

I doubt two cans of pre-hopped extract will result in an overly bitter beer.

Styles - you might want to do some reading on using hop teas for additional bittering, post-ferment.

Hey, I did a Black Rock IPA, and added an extra can of unhopped light malt, then after initial fermentation was over added 60g of hops (just the Brewcraft "teabag" ones). I haven't bottled it yet, and I tasted a sample the other night and it was definitely not bitter enough for me. Give I was aiming for an Epic Pale Ale it's a failure. Oh well, it's my first time experimenting though.

If you aren't adding the hops when you are boiling the wort (pre-fermentation) you aren't going to get bitterness. Boiling hops isomerizes the alpha acids of the hops, allows them to become soluble in the beer making it bitter.

What you describe is dry-hopping, and only provides hop aroma to the beer.

Back