Intercept UPS package at local distrib. center?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
This is non-beer related: I purchased an item on eBay, and eBay sends an email saying "Shipped Monday 07 June" when, in fact, seller/UPS just issued a tracking number today (not picked up yet), Wednesday!

Actual delivery should be Friday, which may be bad 'cause I will be away starting mid-late afternoon that day, and UPS typically delivers UPS Ground late in the day where I am, ... AND I need the item with me.

A question for you experienced UPS users: could I ask UPS to let me go pick up my package at the local distribution center?

If you have the tracking number, call them. (1-800-Pick UPS)
They can put a "Hold for Pickup" on the package and will stop it from getting put on the delivery truck.
Then you can track it, and go pick it up when it arrives at your DC.

However, be prepared to wait - my experience of the counter staff is less than stellar.

Yup, do what Hang Glider said. I use to load trucks at UPS and they have guys on the line that scan for holds and whatnot, though be warned, some do get by. Not a lot, but a couple.

Call ASAP, as UPS may require the Shipper,not the reciever to initiate the hold.

No go!

UPS says can't do it... delivery attempt has to happen first... then there is an option for hold.

Welcome to the 21st century. Duh.

EDIT: Thanks Hang Glider for your nanswer to my question via PM. Yes, it is easier to do with FedEx.

We do it all the time here at work.

However the shipper has to do it (something about security)...which is what we usually are. They can redirect it anywhere even to a neighbor if we wanted to.

The shipper MAY need an account and not just have taken it to the UPS Store though.
I know we usually do it through our rep...and he does all the inside UPS stuff.

We do it all the time here at work.

However the shipper has to do it (something about security)...which is what we usually are. They can redirect it anywhere even to a neighbor if we wanted to.

The shipper MAY need an account and not just have taken it to the UPS Store though.
I know we usually do it through our rep...and he does all the inside UPS stuff.
The recipient used to be able to do redirects, but too many scams would occur. Someone orders goods with a stolen credit card using the shipping/billing of the card holder. Everything looks good to the merchant, so they send the package. Once the recipient had the tracking number, they would call UPS and get the package redirected to a drop spot.

Back