Way too hot Habanero IPA, what to cook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfish

Reaction score
I was gifted about 30 oz of way too hot habanero IPA. Local growler store cut it with tomato juice, however I was looking to cook something with it. Any suggestions? I have a couple of thoughts that I will add later tonight. :mug:

I love caramelizing like 3-4 onions at a time with beer, some sugar, and a whatever spices I want. I bet those would make excellent onions. That or sauteed brussel sprouts with some vinegar added

I made a way, way too hot ghost pepper stout a while ago for a chili-head buddy. 3 peppers in 1 gallon. A shot glass serving was way too much. I used some (half a bottle) to season a large pot of chili. Other uses I explored were a marinade for steak, chicken etc and additional spice to "stuff made in a crock pot".

I like the sautéed veggie and mushroom suggestions.

You could also use it to spice up some :goat:

Some good suggestions so far.

I initial thought beer cheese soup.

But I remember some very good steamed clams at Rogue in their chipotle beer, so I am then though steaming some clams (with garlic) and serving over noodles.

However, I am now leaning towards making a béchamel/veloute sauce and adding it to some shrimp and pasta.

You might use it to brine meat/poultry; duck comes to mind. Then smoke that duck low & slow, crisp up the skin at the last & serve up with fresh veggies, smoke roasted taters, maybe baked acorn squash (with butter, brown sugar/honey & spices) for dessert.
Just had a wild thought, think it would work if you subbed the "too hot IPA" for the wine in Coq au vin?
Regards, GF.

Put 12oz it in a sauce pan add:

• 1 cup Ketchup (though yours is cut with tomato juice already, so maybe more beer less ketchup)
• 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
• 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
• 1/4 cup Honey
• 2 T Worcestershire Sauce
• 1 T Any type of BBQ rub (salt/pepper/chilli powder/paprikia/garlic/onion)

Bring to a simmer, simmer for 20-40 minutes, stirring frequently over low heat until it's reduced by about 1/2.

Should make for a great BBQ sauce. I've done this with stouts, an overspiced winter warmer and a brown ale before. I bet it would work great with a overly hot habanaro IPA.

While you are cooking definetly blend a bit of it with another beer. I learned this from drinking Habanero Sculpin, which by itself was a bit too heavy on the habanero flavor and heat, so I blended it with Grapefruit Sculpin. Wow, that was awesome.

Ended up making some cheddar beer soup LINK

Don't know if it was the hops or the extra sharp cheese, but it did have a bitter/sharpness to it. The habanero kick was very pleasant (and mild).

Cream of Three was good too:tank:

11214368_912204245511292_3274260061655840078_n.jpg

Back