2nd batch (porter, extract kit) in the primary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batch

Reaction score
Hi All,
A few days ago, I got my second homebrew batch into the primary.
Things are bubbling away.:)
This one is a porter ("robust porter" from brewer's best, extract w/ grain).

Looking forward to the product.:mug:

After several annoying attempts to get the siphon going, I think
the first upgrade to my beginner setup will be an autosiphon!

-batch

Autosiphons rock.

Make sure you don't rush this one... my last porter took at least a month in bottles before it was decent, and it was really nice after about 6 weeks.

Thanks Sasquatch
I'll definitely go autosiphon.
You are a certified "comsumption consultant".
-batch

Until you go auto, try filling the tube with water, cover one end with your thumb, put the other in the beer, lower the thumb end and release. Works like a charm everytime.

Carboy caps are a great solution for the carboy. Put the cap on when the beer goes in the secondary, and attach your airlock. Then, when you're ready to rack to the bottling bucket or keg, just remove the airlock and replace with your racking cane. Put the end of the hose in your receiving vessel and give the other opening on the carboy cap a puff. Instant siphon and you never had to expose the beer to the environment!:tank:

Sasquatch said:
Autosiphons rock.

Make sure you don't rush this one... my last porter took at least a month in bottles before it was decent, and it was really nice after about 6 weeks.

Hi Sasquatch,
I took your advice -- 15 days in the secondary. Just bottled it tonight and
it tastes great. :ban: - batch

Latest posts

Back