Sanitized my beer to death ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flywallyfly

Reaction score
I bottled tonight and from reading some of the helpful comments on here I had a bucket with a sanitizer in it and had my bottles submerged in it. I used a One step sanitizer from Austin Homebrew assuming it was as safe as Star san so I would pull a bottle out, let it drain the sanitizer, and fill it up. Just finished and I noticed as i was jotting down notes in my beer journal that the One step instructions say "One step is an oxygen-based environmentally sound sanitizer with good cleaning power. One step sanitizes on contact and no rinsing is required if the sanitized items are allowed to air dry. It breaks down into minerals that naturally occur in beer.
Usage: 1 tablespoon per 1 gallon of cool or warm water. A 30 second contact time is required."

I did not let them air dry obviously so my questions are -- "Did I just screw up my entire batch of beer? Is it safe to drink?" I'm totally flipping out now, lol. Thanks for any feedback.

you should be fine. One step has been used as a sanitizer for years until recently was demoted.

I don't like it as a no rinse because it leaves residue on stuff and isn't technically a sanitze and it can oxidize your beer supposedly.

But did you ruin your beer. Not likely. Going forward I recommend starsan and get oxyclean free its the same thing as onestep except cheaper and it is very good at cleaning.

I clean with one step and a bottle brush, then I jet wash, let drain on tree then squirt with star san right before I fill.

I use One Step and never let my bottles dry. Things have never been ruined for me. I think it is a Cleanser and not a Sanitizer though.

You will be just fine, however One-Step is not FDA recognized as a sanitizer. You won't taste the One-Step in your beer as long as it was diluted properly. Just pick up some Iodophor or Star-San for your next brew, use the One-Step or OxyClean Free to clean and the Iodophor or Star-San to sanitize.

Back