Brewtarget 1.1 - Free open source brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mac, windows, and linux versions should all work the exact same, and this option is available on all of them. Did you download the official 1.1 from sourceforge? Post a pic and let me see.

I am running this on my work computer (OSX 10.5.8) using the QT version linked earlier in the thread. When using the Brewtarget binary version 1.1, I can see the Tools menu for just under a second when I start the program, but by the time it finishes loading its gone. The Menu option goes away at the same time the scroll bars render for the fermentables list. Any ideas? Also, are the preferences the same as the choices offered under Tools>Options? If so, this seems to be the desired behaviour, although its then non-standard for the app.

I am running this on my work computer (OSX 10.5.8) using the QT version linked earlier in the thread. When using the Brewtarget binary version 1.1, I can see the Tools menu for just under a second when I start the program, but by the time it finishes loading its gone. The Menu option goes away at the same time the scroll bars render for the fermentables list. Any ideas? Also, are the preferences the same as the choices offered under Tools>Options? If so, this seems to be the desired behaviour, although its then non-standard for the app.

I'm confused. Can you see tools->options? If you can, that's where the options are.

Sorry for the confusion, no I cannot see that menu after the app loads, I can however see some sort of options by going into preferences (in the application menu for OS X) Which allows you to toggle 'US customary units' Not a problem for me, just trying to provide insight to starrfish's issue.

brewtarget.jpg

Sorry for the confusion, no I cannot see that menu after the app loads, I can however see some sort of options by going into preferences (in the application menu for OS X) Which allows you to toggle 'US customary units' Not a problem for me, just trying to provide insight to starrfish's issue.

Oh, weird. I didn't know mac rearranges the GUI. I certainly didn't program it that way. I don't own a mac, so I never knew this happened. I'll keep an eye on this on the next release.

How do I run this program on Ubuntu. I have installed it but can not seem to find where it installed. Forgive me as I am very new to Linux (day 1 of use).

How do I run this program on Ubuntu. I have installed it but can not seem to find where it installed. Forgive me as I am very new to Linux (day 1 of use).

Welcome to Linux! You have made a wise choice. The transition may be strange, but at the end, you will feel "one" with the computer...lol.

Ok, the easiest thing to do is open up a terminal (applications->accessories->terminal) and just type in "brewtarget" without the quotes, and press enter. A more convenient solution is to make a desktop launcher. See this article...

http://drbrainiac.wordpress.com/2007/11/04/how-to-create-custom-desktop-launchers-in-ubuntu-gnome/

Where it says "location," just type in "brewtarget" without quotes.

Why am I getting this error and how do I fix it?

ERROR: Could not open /usr/share/brewtarget/database.xml for writing.
WARNING: Could not open /usr/share/brewtarget/options.xml for writing.

For some reason you don't have the right permissions set on those files. Try this in a terminal "sudo chmod a+rw /usr/share/brewtarget/* "

For me on ubuntu that went away after the first run, but I now get:
WARNING: Phonon needs QCoreApplication::applicationName to be set to export audio output names through the DBUS interface

For me on ubuntu that went away after the first run, but I now get:
WARNING: Phonon needs QCoreApplication::applicationName to be set to export audio output names through the DBUS interface

That would mean you are using the version straight from the repository right (Phonon stuff wasn't in 1.1)? If so, this is a Qt warning and doesn't seem to mean anything really.

thanks that worked ....boy is this going to be some learning curve lol.....and just think i have a degree in programming and will have another in networking in may. I sure am glad that I am taking a Linux class next semester.
Thanks again!

That would mean you are using the version straight from the repository right (Phonon stuff wasn't in 1.1)? If so, this is a Qt warning and doesn't seem to mean anything really.

Cool, just making sure. Great product by the way, seems to do everything I would need at this stage in my brewing career.

I hate to be "that guy" but I'm just to lazy to read through the 16 pages of this thread, so I'm going to ask.

Does anyone have this running on a Ubuntu machine, or better yet, a LinuxMint machine?

I will be downloading and booting this when I get home. I wish the rig was ready to play with it right away.

I just installed Mint 8 on my Acer notebook, then updated it fully. I've got a bunch of additional apps installed, so YMMV, but the .deb package for 1.1 installed with no additional dependencies needed. Works perfectly.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that in my last post. Mint 8 needs this, as well. :drunk:

Hmmm.. I hadn't paid attention to where Brewtarget stores its database files. Perhaps an option on WHERE to save them? Sometimes with a new distro I wipe out everything not in my home directory and reformat to do a clean install. Things get cluttered with all the 'stuff' I do sometimes.

thanks that worked ....boy is this going to be some learning curve lol.....and just think i have a degree in programming and will have another in networking in may. I sure am glad that I am taking a Linux class next semester.
Thanks again!

Let me give you a tip that no Linux noob (including me years ago) seems to know until years into the experience: "man." Meaning, if you don't know what a command does or what its options are, you enter "man command-name" and it will tell you everything. For example, try "man chmod" now to figure out what that chmod command was all about that I told you to execute.

Hmmm.. I hadn't paid attention to where Brewtarget stores its database files. Perhaps an option on WHERE to save them? Sometimes with a new distro I wipe out everything not in my home directory and reformat to do a clean install. Things get cluttered with all the 'stuff' I do sometimes.

Yeah, 1.2 stores the files under the home directory now. Also, there is a tool to backup and restore the files to/from wherever.

Yeah, 1.2 stores the files under the home directory now. Also, there is a tool to backup and restore the files to/from wherever.

Sweet. Really looking forward to the next edition, he says to make ten letters.... Not sure why they don't turn off the ten letter minimum in the software.

I'm running Debian Lenny amd64 version so I am installing from source. When I ran "make" it spat out an error
Code:
 File generated with too recent version of Qt Designer (4.0 vs. 3.3.8b)
but when I went back and ran
Code:
qmake-qt4 brewtarget.pro
I was able to make some better progress with the compilation. However, it still bombs out, now with the message
Code:
TimerWidget.cpp: In member function ‘void TimerWidget::setTimer(QString)’:
TimerWidget.cpp:100: error: ‘class QStringList’ has no member named ‘length’
TimerWidget.cpp:109: error: ‘class QStringList’ has no member named ‘length’
TimerWidget.cpp:120: error: ‘class QStringList’ has no member named ‘length’
make: *** [TimerWidget.o] Error 1

Any thoughts?

Edit:
Whoops - found the answer here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/br...ost1383722/?highlight=timerwidget#post1383722

Up and running now :)

I'm running Debian Lenny amd64 version so I am installing from source. When I ran "make" it spat out an error
Code:
 File generated with too recent version of Qt Designer (4.0 vs. 3.3.8b)
but when I went back and ran
Code:
qmake-qt4 brewtarget.pro
I was able to make some better progress with the compilation. However, it still bombs out, now with the message
Code:
TimerWidget.cpp: In member function ‘void TimerWidget::setTimer(QString)’:
TimerWidget.cpp:100: error: ‘class QStringList’ has no member named ‘length’
TimerWidget.cpp:109: error: ‘class QStringList’ has no member named ‘length’
TimerWidget.cpp:120: error: ‘class QStringList’ has no member named ‘length’
make: *** [TimerWidget.o] Error 1

Any thoughts?

Edit:
Whoops - found the answer here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/br...ost1383722/?highlight=timerwidget#post1383722

Up and running now :)

Yup. You need Qt 4.5 or greater in order to compile it. You can see your version with "qmake -v".

I had both qt3 and qt4 installed but qmake defaults to v3. That's why I had to manually re-run with qmake-qt4 to force it to use v4.
qmake -v
Code:
Qmake version: 1.07a (Qt 3.3.8b)

qmake-qt4 -v
Code:
QMake version 2.01a
Using Qt version 4.4.3 in /usr/lib

I expect what you mean is that had I used 4.5 I wouldn't have had to change those 3 lines. 4.4.3 is apparently what was included with my repo. I haven't seen any other side effects yet... except that everything I type is metric which immediately converts to imperial instead of just taking what I type as an imperial measurement. I suspect that is just how it is coded though.

I haven't seen any other side effects yet... except that everything I type is metric which immediately converts to imperial instead of just taking what I type as an imperial measurement. I suspect that is just how it is coded though.

I'm just ignorant. I should have watched the youtube video first. I just have to type "5 gal" instead of "5" for it to use gallons instead of liters. Is there any reason why it doesn't default to gallons/pounds/oz/quarts/etc instead of L/kg/g/mL?

I need to educate myself a bit more and try this again.

I'm trying to run Brewtarget on my mac running 10.4.11. Is this software workable on my OS or do I need to upgrade to 10.5?

All i'm seeing across the top is "File" and "View". There are no ingredients, recipes, and or well anything. Just plain doesn't work :confused:

Looks great though, just wish I could use it.

Thanks

Edit- alright downloaded something from QT, not sure what the heck it is or what I'm doing. This is just getting confusing. LOL

Is there any reason why it doesn't default to gallons/pounds/oz/quarts/etc instead of L/kg/g/mL?

I need to educate myself a bit more and try this again.

There's a reason, although it's kind of subtle and just related to how things are working internally. I recommend you do the walkthrough in About->Manual. It covers all the features and teaches you how to use brewtarget.

Looks like a great program - much friendlier than Brewsmith.

I'm a little confused on adding to the ingredients database. Let's say that I want to add a new hop listing. Lots of storage fields, most of which are in percent. Should I be listing as a decimal equivalent or as whole digits (e.g. 50 for 50 percent, instead of .5 for 50 percent). For some reason I think that elsewhere in the program it's decimal, but here it's whole numbers. Can a "hint" be given in the field for how the input should appear? Probably will be all self apparent the more that I work with it - but for now, it's confusing. To show my ignorance, it took quite awhile to learn the meaning of "HSI". Now I know.

The suppliers list the constituents as percentages of the "Total Oil", but to make that meaningful you have to know the amount of oil in ml/gram or whatever. I noticed that the "pre-listed" hops did not have these data fields filled in - so maybe the program doesn't use it anyway? (Just like Beta Acids?) :confused:

Looks like a great program - much friendlier than Brewsmith.

I'm a little confused on adding to the ingredients database. Let's say that I want to add a new hop listing. Lots of storage fields, most of which are in percent. Should I be listing as a decimal equivalent or as whole digits (e.g. 50 for 50 percent, instead of .5 for 50 percent). For some reason I think that elsewhere in the program it's decimal, but here it's whole numbers.

Where would be "elsewhere?" I'm pretty sure that throughout the program, whenever it asks you for percent, you should enter percent (50 for 50%). After all, "per cent" means "out of 100".

Can a "hint" be given in the field for how the input should appear? Probably will be all self apparent the more that I work with it - but for now, it's confusing. To show my ignorance, it took quite awhile to learn the meaning of "HSI". Now I know.

Sure, I can put hints. For anyone else, HSI = Hop Stability/Storage Index.

The suppliers list the constituents as percentages of the "Total Oil", but to make that meaningful you have to know the amount of oil in ml/gram or whatever. I noticed that the "pre-listed" hops did not have these data fields filled in - so maybe the program doesn't use it anyway? (Just like Beta Acids?) :confused:

Would you mind linking to the spec sheet to which you refer? You are right. The program only deals with alpha acids directly at the moment, but that may change in the future. So you know, all these fields are directly from the BeerXML standard, which you can find here:

http://www.beerxml.com/beerxml.htm

To be honest, this standard is a little questionable at times, and is kind of inconsistent, and has errors in the specification document. However, Beersmith uses it, and hey, it's standard.

Don't know where I thought percents were decimals - looking at some of your pre-loaded recipes makes it apparent how the field data should be entered.

Any way to print the "Instructions" that are generated by "Brewday"?

I noticed that you can enter a second sparge by simply hitting "Mash Wiz" a second time (actually you can enter many sparges, but the intermediate quantities all drop to zero teaspoons).

Here is an example of what I was referringg to as a "supplier listing": http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_93_70&products_id=31

Anyone have any luck getting it to build under Cygwin? I managed to install Cygwin 1.7 to get QT 4.5, but qmake 4.5 doesn't seem to do anything. Are the Window builds being created with a cross compiler?

Anyone have any luck getting it to build under Cygwin? I managed to install Cygwin 1.7 to get QT 4.5, but qmake 4.5 doesn't seem to do anything. Are the Window builds being created with a cross compiler?

I'm using MinGW to do the Windows builds, but I'm sure Cygwin will work as well. Note that 'qmake brewtarget.pro' only makes the Makefile. You need to run 'make' after that to build.

Still no luck on OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5.8. Even with the new updated almost 1.2 version.

P.S. your inbox is full.

Still no luck on OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5.8. Even with the new updated almost 1.2 version.

What exactly is going wrong? You have the Qt 4.5 SDK since you're building it from scratch? All you need to build it is the SDK, and all you need to run it is the Qt runtime libraries.

P.S. your inbox is full.

No it's not.

It is not, wrong member, my fault.

Not sure how to use the Qt products. Is there by chance direct links to the Qt products that I need to download? I've been to a page that has quite a few links and have no idea which I need.

Or maybe i'm missing directions and I should already know all this?

Thanks I greatly appreciate the help.

What exactly is going wrong? You have the Qt 4.5 SDK since you're building it from scratch? All you need to build it is the SDK, and all you need to run it is the Qt runtime libraries.

No it's not.

http://qt.nokia.com/downloads

"Go LGPL"

"Download Qt SDK for Mac" since you are building from scratch. Otherwise, you would choose "Download Qt Libraries for Mac". SDK is software development kit. It provides all the Qt source code, and qmake and stuff that you use to build Qt-based programs. The runtime libraries (included with the SDK) is a library of executable code that gets loaded at runtime to render and operate the programs.

If you need help installing the SDK, go here
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/install-mac.html

The build process for brewtarget should be the familiar

Code:
./configure
make
make install

If you get errors about ppc libraries, then you don't have them and should give ./configure the "--no-ppc" option.

Call for Translators
Do you speak fluent English and another language fluently? Please PM me, because I am looking to get translations of this software. All you have to do is translate short phrases from English into the other language(s) that you speak.

(Sorry for repeating myself.)

Is there a way to print all of the "Brewday Instructions"?

Having problems with "Print Screen".

Latest posts

Back