Propane tank exchange rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbuddy

Reaction score
I exchange my propane tank today and when I bend down to put it away in the garage I get a whiff of propane. I check the valve and it is open about three turns. I take it back and when the manager gives me another the valve is open as well. He then checks the rest and they are all open. WTF He says that they must be shipping them that way. This just sounds wrong. The OPD valve is a safety device I don't think it was intended for them to be shipped that way.

The front end manger didn't seem to concerned he closed the ones in the open cage then locked the door and went back in the store.

Glad you are safe ..

get two tanks... then refill instead of exchanging when firs goes dry... save $$ and you know you are getting a full tank's worth, assuming you drain it before refilling...

Propane refill cost has gone up like everything else..

Thanks, I used to refill and I will again. The only reason I stopped was the pain of waiting for the kid who was too busy pumping gas to fill the tank. Sometimes they would be so busy they would tell me to come back later.

About the only cylinders I bother trading in are the ones that have an expired pressure certification. :D There is an Ace Hardware not too far away that does tank fills without much waiting.

Don't propane tanks only deliver gas if it is attached to something? I know I have disconnected tanks with the valve open, and you lose a little propane (little whoosh) but it doesn't keep coming out or anything.

Don't propane tanks only deliver gas if it is attached to something? I know I have disconnected tanks with the valve open, and you lose a little propane (little whoosh) but it doesn't keep coming out or anything.

The new ones have a safety valve to prevent that.

all of these nifty safety features were added so that a complete moron can safely use a propane tank.... certainly not like the good old days.

Latest posts

Back