CO2 tank leaking out valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently started using a 20# Airgas exchange tank of CO2 I had in reserve. Looks to be new aluminum tank, but appears to have an older valve. The darn thing leaks out valve packing when I open it. Sometimes it leaks more than others if I move valve around, but always leaks some. I don't see a way to tighten packing, I did try.

Anyone ever have this happen, know a possible solution? Unfortunately I can not return tank to current Airgas dealer, dealership has gone to a differnt buisniness since I got the tank.

I'm sure they would exchange tank as an empty, but would not give any credit for the gas, and it is almost full. It is not a big deal, but exchange tank is over $40 around here, so trying to get some use out of it by turning on only when dispensing.

Thanks for the reply, but that did not work.

For some reason, the top of valve stem is peened so knob will not come off either, so I can't get an 11/16 socket on the packing valve and torque on it. Going to grind an old 11/16 open wrench thin enough to get in there, but I have my doubts there is much I can do.

Have to keep in mind it is a full gas cylinder, after all, so I won't get too creative. {;

Back