Anyone had success cellaring beer for extended periods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading through my copy of "Beer Captured" and was intrigued by the Chimay Grande Reserve recipe. It says "If cellared at proper temperatures 59-60 degrees, this beer will mature and develop for up to ten years." Has anyone had experience in cellaring beers (either Chimay or another type) and how did it turn out? I am thinking of buying a case of big bottles from my local hbss and brewing up a batch to cellar as long as I can stand (nowhere near 10 years i'm sure).

Yes, I have a huge beer cellar, and often keep strong Belgians, giant stouts, and barleywines for many years.

Some age really well, others don't. Usually high alcohol beers seem to mellow out greatly with age. The hop flavors will lesson, even disappear over time. Smoked beers really seem to mellow as well.

Longest I went, I drank a 12year old 1995 Sam Adams Triple Bock - Amazing Stuff. If you come across the 95 version snatch it up. If you find the later ones put it down, they aren't so good.

Been slowly working through some goose island 2004 Bourbon Stout that seems to get better and better.

I have a New Glarus Triple from 2003 I'm going to drink maybe this week, it was decent fresh, It was amazing the last time I drank it a couple years ago, Will see if it held up for 7 years soon.

I've only held onto things for 2 years, but I don't have a proper cellar, I just put them in the back of a cabinet. My apartment's temperature varies between 65-80 degrees depending on season, so I'm sure my beers are aging faster than normal, but you do what you can.

I've had a lot of aged stuff, but usually only up to 3 years. The one that improved the most was the Dogfish Head Immort Ale. Orval changes a lot with age, but it's so good to begin with that it's tought to say what phase of age I like best.

My BDSA that I have bottled has gotten much better over the first year.

got some chimay grand reserve I am putting down. Also got a bottle of Bell's 9000 I am saving. A future plan is for a my own brew of dogfish head 120 and lay it down...hhhmmm forever? lol

Also...life goal...Dark Lord...find it, buy it...fight the army between me and the car...lay it down...random direction laser security system :)

got some chimay grand reserve I am putting down. Also got a bottle of Bell's 9000 I am saving. A future plan is for a my own brew of dogfish head 120 and lay it down...hhhmmm forever? lol

Also...life goal...Dark Lord...find it, buy it...fight the army between me and the car...lay it down...random direction laser security system :)

......I love your imagery, but wouldn't the army be between you and the store where it is?;)

Back