How to find someone to cut kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I got a couple kegs I need to have some crafted work done to. I'm assuming they will use a plasma cutter, or something serious... but I have no idea where to start looking. I looked up metal fabrication in the yellowpages, but no luck there.

How should I go about finding a professional to cut my kegs?

Thx in advance

If I wasn't going to do it myself, I'd look for a welder. Any shop that does welding can handle it.

Several people have posted instructions for duing it using dremels and similar small high-speed devices with a metal cutting wheel.

I messed around for awhile like you, looking for someone to cut the tops off of mine. A local guy wanted 30 bucks a piece to cut them with a plasma cutter. I said screw it and used a dremel on a couple. It was easier than you think. I used about 5 cutoff wheels per keg. I did another 6 kegs with an angle grinder, but I found that it was easier to cut them in an octagon shape. Don't get me wrong, I am not very handy. I had a bunch of kegs given to me by a beer salesman. He said that they were "off the books". I got a few friends interested in brewing so I was happy to cut the tops off of them and give them away to get them started. :tank:

Trick is to call someone in the know. I'd guess that you have some blacksmith shops close-by. Most definitely some machine shops. Call and ask and be straight-forward about what your using it for.

Throw homebrew into the mix and you might get it cheap or free in exchange for some beer.

30 bucks sounds about what it should be. it's a shame your not in NC I would see if I could help you out . I have a plasma at work.

Like others said, bring beer and you'll get a better deal.. If they are going to cut it with a plasma cutter make sure you put enough water to cover the bottom so the slag doesn't stick.

Has anyone tried a sawzall with a metal blade?

Seems to me that that would work like a damn. I'll try it out, I've got a couple of Hoff-stevens' on hand and am going to convert them.

Goodness me, that's sort of a silly post, I'm drunk!

I remember someone the other day saying their sawzall worked great for cuttint the top of a keg . . . dunno which post it was or who said it though

I use a bi-metal fire blade in a sawzall, and it will getter done! Filler up with water half way to hold her to the floor when cutting

Sawzall is good if your looking for a quick cheap way. If you want it to look good I would take it to a local auto body shop or a Plumber. Plumbers have all the right tools to work with aluminum and cut perfect lines, maybe you can find one like me and he will do it free for a sample:) Also if you make a friend in that racket you can get stanless/copper parts at wholesale prices and you wont believe all the neat plumbing stuff that is awsome in brewing....

I'm a fan of the Dremel with an EZ Cut wheel. It should only take about 15 minutes with 3 wheels and it leaves a very clean edge that is easy to smooth out.

Back