Ommegang Hennepin Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32indian

Reaction score
Can the yeast from a bottle of "Ommegang Hennepin" Saison style Belgian Ale be stepped up several times and used in a clone brew with good results?

Anyone used this yeast? I love the beer!!!!!

What other, if any, yeast will ferment this dry, in a Saison while retaining all the Belgian attributes?

-Tom

32indian said:
Can the yeast from a bottle of "Ommegang Hennepin" Saison style Belgian Ale be stepped up several times and used in a clone brew with good results?

Anyone used this yeast? I love the beer!!!!!

What other, if any, yeast will ferment this dry, in a Saison while retaining all the Belgian attributes?

-Tom

yes if it has a visible sediment layer or if you see what i call floaties in the beer. Empty out almost all the beer, drinking it of course but not from the bottle to keep it sanitized. You will need some extract or some lme, and mix accordingly with some water, with a little yeast nutrient. Empty that into the bottle, shake the crap out of it, attach airlock (use the drilled cup stopper turned upside down, you know the one that fits in the inside of a carboy but is not solid and is cupped), and hope for a fermentation. Yeast culturing is a big subject but I pretty much gave you the short short short version. Your going to have to do some reasearch online. go to byo website im sure they have the info your looking for there

I have used both store bought saison yeast, and grown yeast from a bottle. Both work great and tasted delicioso. Its not to hard to grow the yeast cultivated from bottles.

I understand yeast cultivation practices, for the most part.

But I understand some breweries use a different yeast to bottle condition and carbonate than the actual yeast used in production of the beer. A generic yeast that imparts little flavor to the finished beer for example.

I'm wondering if the yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle is the same yeast used at the start of fermentation in the Ommegang beers.

-Tom

Back