Late Notice - Headed to Denver Friday 10/17/2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfess1

Reaction score
Will only be in town from Saturday (headed to Aspen friday to saturday morning, back in town that saturday evening) till Tues morning. Looking to go to Fort Collins one of those days (monday?). We will be staying at the Hotel Monaco while in town. what are some "CANNOT MISS" places?

Fort Collins - new Belgium and Odell's

Denver - Great Divide, Renegade. Epic are all downtownish. Avery is good but in Boulder.

One of my new favorites is Aleworks in Loveland but it's a little out of the way from Fort Collins.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like Probst too and it's downtown as well. Forgot to mention that one.

Personally I'd avoid Denver Beer Co. Cool place to hang out but needs are pretty substandard there in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

We were looking at jagged mountian brewery. Looking to book a tour at New Belgium. Also, planned to stop in Loveland and go to Big Beaver Brewing (hey, we're teenagers at heart). Aleworks is good stuff, have no problem going there too. Crooked stave sounds good. Keep them coming!

Falling Rock Taphouse if you want to see a lot of taps with a great selection.

Beer and crabs were meant for each other!

Falling Rock Taphouse if you want to see a lot of taps with a great selection.

we were looking at that place and freshcraft.

So, I'm from Philly. We have a really great selection of craft beer here, and I realize that. I'm looking for places to hit that don't distribute to our fine area.

I'm from Lancaster. Almost any place you go in Denver will have beer you can't get or never heard of. Hell I found a bar called The Ghost behind the Marriot downtown that had about 30 taps of all local stuff. I had my first Pliny at Falling Rock.

I'm from Lancaster. Almost any place you go in Denver will have beer you can't get or never heard of. Hell I found a bar called The Ghost behind the Marriot downtown that had about 30 taps of all local stuff. I had my first Pliny at Falling Rock.

Ghost Tap has closed (they had a decent selection of local taps but so-so service and were pretty pricey).

I second the recommendation for Prost Brewing Co., just across the river from downtown and they brew fantastic German beers and have a nice little beer hall with outdoor seating of the weather's nice.

I also agree that Denver Beer Co. has a wonderful spot but generally disappointing beers (though I'll admit I blind-tasted one of theirs at GABF and was pleasantly surprised, so maybe they're making some progress with quality).

Back to downtown, Jagged Mountain has some interesting stuff, worth a quick stop anyway if you're passing by. Great Divide's tap room can get crowded but they usually have a few unique brews that I imagine you couldn't get in Philly.

If you're willing to go a bit further afield, I also like Hog's Head, they have a nice little brew pub and a tasty selection of English-style beers, many on cask. And Renegade Brewing has some nice, and occasionally off-beat, beers.

are you allowed to fill another brewery's growler in CO?

Yes it's not problem at all.

Make sure you get a reservation at New Belgium if you're going there. We took a Fort Collins beer tour and tried to drop in at New Belgium. We ended up spending half the day there waiting for walk-in tour spots and it really put a dent in our ambitious schedule.

Also, add Copper Kettle to the list but unfortunately it's pretty remote compared to the rest of the breweries already mentioned (i.e. it's really out of the way).

I'd stick to downtown breweries in Denver because you can hit a LOT of them in a short period of time (Great Divide, Renegade, Probst, Crooked Stave, Jagged Mountain, Stem Ciders, etc)

Some of my favs in Denver were Crooked Stave, Jagged Mountain, and Great Divide. There's also a kombucha place near Crooked Stave called "Happy Leaf" that is worth checking out for something different.

Will only be in town from Saturday (headed to Aspen friday to saturday morning, back in town that saturday evening) till Tues morning. Looking to go to Fort Collins one of those days (monday?). We will be staying at the Hotel Monaco while in town. what are some "CANNOT MISS" places?

So where did you go, and what did you think?

Fri: Tommyknockers and Back Country Brewing. Mainly because they were on the way to Aspen. Tommyknockers, meh. Back Country had a great breakfast stout and IPA on tap. Imperial Saison, pass. But the rest of their stuff was pretty solid.

Sat: Aspen Brewing company, Freshcraft. Aspen was ok, nothing super impressive. Freshscraft was a great spot once back in Denver. Had probably the best beer of the trip there, Station 26 Imperial IPA. Was fantastic.

Sun: New Belgium Brewery, Big Beaver Brewing Co, Falling Rock Tap House. Ok, hands down the best brewery tour I've ever been on. New Belgium was awesome. Big Beaver, well we had stop there because of the name. Surprising thing? The beer was really good. We didn't have a whole lot of time as we needed to be back in time for the Bronco's game. Dinner at Elways, then bounced down to Falling Rock for the second half of the game. Beer selection was stellar. It was a little hazy by that point, I forget what I had after a stone enjoy by. But there was alot.

Mon: Breckenridge Brewing Craft, Great Divide, Jagged Brewing Company. Breckenridge was probably the most disappointing of the bunch. I mean, we get them out here, but i was looking for a little more than that, like something we couldn't get out here. I get that I wasn't at the actual brewery. I guess the vanilla porter on nitro was the best beer i had there. Great Divide was awesome. Their Collete and Ross beers were really good. I was most surprised that they distribute as far as they do with that small of an operation. Jagged Mountain was ok. Nothing really jumped out at us. Granted, this was the last stop of a very long day.

Back