Fermentation slowed way down after 1 week.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick22

Reaction score
I started a simple cider a week and 2 days ago, 1 gallon of apple juice no sugar, pitched a Cider yeast Youngs.
For those who might know specific strains Saccharomyces bayanus.

Well, I checked it today and the yeast has fallen down already! It used to be yellow due to yeast and today it dropped down to the bottom of the tank in a cake.

I have done this before with a wine yeast and usually it drops down on the 3rd week.
Is this cause for worry or is it due to the cider yeast I am using?

When I do a gallon using the same stuff you described it's usually done fermenting in 3 or 4 days. Did it bubble? Check gravity

When I do a gallon using the same stuff you described it's usually done fermenting in 3 or 4 days. Did it bubble? Check gravity

Yes, it bubbled like mad for almost the full week, I don't see why it would have gone fast, I'm fermenting in slow temperatures.

I can't check gravity, haven't got a hydrometer.

I bet it's fine. Taste it to see if there's good alcohol. Then buy a hydrometer

The Bay Anus is a good yeast. I've been happy with it. I threw 2 packets into 3 gallons of cider in a carboy and some corn sugar/yeast nutrient and it looked like you engineered a tornado into a large brown snowglobe for DAYS. I mean, there were no vibrations, movements to the carboy or curious "Is this alive?" shakings going on?" Only thing is, it is on the very dry side. I am letting one carboy sit for a while to see how the apple flavor comes into it's own.

I've got another question, when I need to rack this off, (I'm thinking 3rd week from what i've read), Will splashing when I'm pouring it out of container A to container B be an issue? What if I don't have a siphon hose?

Will this oxidize my cider?

You don't want splashing. That puts air in it. Run the hose to the bottom of the container your using.

Maverick22 said:
I've got another question, when I need to rack this off, (I'm thinking 3rd week from what i've read), Will splashing when I'm pouring it out of container A to container B be an issue? What if I don't have a siphon hose? Will this oxidize my cider?

I'd definitely get a siphon hose. It's low cost and high utility.

Latest posts

Back