Dry Hop Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
Looking for how others dry hop their beers. I am making an English style IPA and I plan on dry hopping it with some EKG. I have some muslin bags laying around and was wondering if I should throw it in them or just throw the hop pellets directly in the carboy? What do you suggest?

I dry hop with out the bag. Yes, the bag helps keep the hops together, however, hops should float freely to really get that full potential out of the hops. If it's in a carboy it will (usually) stay on the top, and if you use a syphon, you shouldn't get any hops out of it. Bottom line -either way is fine!

just toss them freely into your secondary and rack on top, then when you transfer to your bottling bucket/keg, just attach that sanitized muslin bag to the outlet end of your tubing and it will catch any potential hop debris.

works like a charm for me.

last few times i've dryhopped i added hops directly to primary about 3 weeks into fermentation with no bag

i used a paint strainer bag over the end of the siphon when i racked to bottling bucket

Yeah, I just tossed them into my primary about 10-15mns ago and racked on top.

I asked a very similar querstion a few months ago and as a result of the input here started reacking onto the top of the hops at secondary. That seems to be a great addition to the dry hop process. As for the to bag or not to bag question....what ever is the easiest to you. I think it all comes down to how you want toclean up the mess. I toss in the whole flower and use a bag with marbles otherwise.

Latest posts

Back