1st AG this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Just a quick question for any AGer out there. I am going to be brewing a recipe from BYO (Copper Ale) this weekend, the recipe calls for Pale Ale Malt my LHBS gave me 2-row instead. Im new at the AG so is the Pale Ale Malt and the 2-row the same stuff?

Thx

You are fine. The term pale ale malt is somewhat of a loose term. Typically it refers to either domestic 2-row malt or British pale malt (which is 2-row that has been kilned a wee bit higher). Either will work out well.

EDIT: Just noticed you had the recipe in your signature. It calls for US malt, so yes - you got the right stuff for sure. Hope the brew day goes well!

Yar, like Flyguy says, in that situation you're fine. I just wanted to mention though, that Briess has a "Pale Ale" Malt which is slightly darker and more malty than the standard 2-row base malts....even so, I have used that as my base malt for some stuff. My point here is that you should always just check the maltsters website to get a good idea of how malts differ as you never know and can get surprised.

I had wondered why when I translated my first batch (extract) to AG why the color was darker than anticipated. Going back through the numbers I discovered I was using the 'normal' lovibond rating of like 1.8 - 2 instead of the 3.5 that the Briess Pale Ale malt is. In the end it wasn't anything earth shattering and in fact was a welcome mistake as it did improve the maltiness of my APA. All from a mix up in the 50 lb bag I ordered from my LHBS. It said Pale Ale malt, so I assumed it was the same...:cross:

Also also, :)D) when getting new malts from various maltsters don't always assume that things like diastatic power are the same...they can vary dramatically even with certain classifications of malt.

Good luck, relax and don't sweat it. But considering the forecasted 110 degrees this weekend sweating is something you won't be able to contol.

Back