temp controller for heating/cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Guys,

I’m looking for a reasonably priced temperature controller that can control heating and cooling. I’d like to be able to set the temperature and the controller figures out if it has to heat or to cool.

I was looking at the 2 stage Ranco and it seems that you have to set both the heating and cooling set-points rather than setting one set point and the deadband. I think I’ll find it rather annoying to change two settings instead of just pressing an up/down button to control the temperature.

Any ideas.

It’s not simultaneously. It’s one or the other. If the temp is above set-point + deadband/2 then it should cool, if it is below set-point – deadband/2 it should heat.

Kai

Just curious what the the application is to require heating and cooling simultaneously.

I think he wants it to maintain a setpoint regardless of ambient. Such an example might be fermenting in a garage where (especially this time of year) it's cold at night and the fermentation might need a little heat and vice verse during the day.

You will probably need to modify a middle of the line HVAC thermostat to accomplish what you need or build one from an Arduino or similar. You could probably go the Arduino route for less than $60 depending on how many objects you need to measure the temp on. The neat thing about the Arduino is once you have the code for 1, you could build the thing with multiple channels and independently control about as many objects as you needed too.

I think he wants it to maintain a setpoint regardless of ambient. Such an example might be fermenting in a garage where (especially this time of year) it's cold at night and the fermentation might need a little heat and vice verse during the day.

You will probably need to modify a middle of the line HVAC thermostat to accomplish what you need or build one from an Arduino or similar. You could probably go the Arduino route for less than $60 depending on how many objects you need to measure the temp on. The neat thing about the Arduino is once you have the code for 1, you could build the thing with multiple channels and independently control about as many objects as you needed too.
I have been fementing in a garage in a chest freezer. I'm having that exact problem when it gets too cold. I've been using a cermaic cube heater to keep the temp from going to cold. It runs about a min at most to raise the temp. Right now I'm playing with the thermostat on the heater but it isn't sensitive enough. I think I'm going to get a seperate contoller to control the heater independent of the freezer.

Guys,

I’m looking for a reasonably priced temperature controller that can control heating and cooling. I’d like to be able to set the temperature and the controller figures out if it has to heat or to cool.

I was looking at the 2 stage Ranco and it seems that you have to set both the heating and cooling set-points rather than setting one set point and the deadband. I think I’ll find it rather annoying to change two settings instead of just pressing an up/down button to control the temperature.

Any ideas.
Kaiser,

Check out the MSC catalog

pg 4299
Industrial Heating/cooling thermostat
Remote Bulb
40 deg to 110 deg
order # 76942598

$45.34

The TSS2-2100 is what you want. I just installed it in my fermentation chamber (see sig) and it is great. The 2008 Love wiring thread has detailed programming info as well.

You still have two setpoints, but they are changed with the click of the set button and be set to the same value. This is what I do and it works great.

You still have two setpoints, but they are changed with the click of the set button and be set to the same value. This is what I do and it works great.

You can do heating and cooling with one setpoint, it's all in the programming.
My homemade incubator is set-up that way.
I enter the target temp, the TSS2 does the rest based on my parameters.
Controls_1.jpg

The factory instructions are equal to the controller's cost.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Would you be so kind as to include these instructions here:

PM me your parameters, I like to know which of the programming modes do you use to turn on the heater.

After we know what is the best solution you can include all the steps in your instructions.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

So you wire that heating unit and the freezer to the love controller and then set the temp? That is awesome. I will be doing this.

Just another suggestion that might be usefull....it's a bit low-tech compared to the others, but it's quite inexpensive. And I am almost sure that you have it in the US as well. Although this would go for having a fermentation temperature regulator not for keeping stuff cold.

You can use the heating cords that you buy by the yard - the kind that are used in electric floor heating. Wrap around the fermentation chamber and insulate on top of it. These systems have a temperature controller that you would need to keep "in contact" with the fermentor. (Some models have a probe that you normally would embedd in the floor)

52400.jpg

52393.jpg

52384.jpg

If in same room you would only need one temp regulator to control multiple fermentors.

Might look a bit different in the US, but the temperature range is very suitible for fermentation.

This may be too easy for you guys, but FYI, you can use the common anolog Jonson temperature controller for both heating and cooling. Most use these for controlling a refrigerator or freezer over riding the OEM thermostat on the appliance.

Normally you would want to control cooling or heating. When cooling, the controller would switch on the current with a temperture rise and off when the target tempearture is reached. Conversely, when heating, the controller would switch on with a temperature drop and off when the target temperature is attained.

There will be times when the ambient temperatures swing both above and below the desired chamber temperatues. Typically when this happens neither heating or cooling is required. The chamber (refrigerator or freezer) insulation will minimize these swings and more than likely neither heating or cooling is required to stay within the range desired. In most locales, the swings in ambient are not so drastic as to require any heating or cooling at all. The temperatures in the insulated chamber will remain relatively constant within a reasonable degree and certainly acceptable for home brewing purposes.

Now then, eventually the seasons will change and either heating or cooling will be required. When this occurs, simply make a judgement call and configure the controller for heating or cooling whichever is required.

So, the Johnson analog controller can be very easily modifed to perform either task. It's simply a matter of taking the cover off and switching one of the internal leads to the alternatre terminal. When you remove the cover, the existence of the alternate terminal will not be obvious as it is concealed by a plastic plug. To switch it for heating instead of cooling, simply pull the plastic plug out and move the switch wire and screw to the newly revealed terminal hole on the switch. Put the plug that was removed back in to the old terminal threaded hole.

It is important to note that this change is only required about twice a year when the seaons change and the need for heating or cooling is obvious. During the twice yearly transition periods usually nothing at ll needs to be done.

A cheap min/max type indoor/outdoor thermometer will help determine when one or the other is needed.

Hope this helps. It's harder to explain in writing than it is to actually do in practice. The bottom line is that the cheap Johnson analog controllers will do the job and do it well. Obviously, this isn't a totally automated solution, but it is quick and simple to do, not to mention very inexpensive as in, "no cost" if you already have an analog Johnson controller. No need to figure out a complex solution. This is a very easy modification.

Hope this helps.

This may be too easy for you guys, but FYI, you can use the common anolog Jonson temperature controller for both heating and cooling.

Sure, now you tell me. Where were you for this post? Now that I just spent ~$80 on a Johnson A419 for this exact reason. Sure you hadn't joined the forum yet. I'll bet you were lurking though. You were probably sitting there laughing at me when I wrote that post. I'm on to you. :mad: :D

Sorry 'bout that. I would have said something had I seen your earlier post. Not to worry, the A419 is a first class controller. I have three of the analogs and one A419. Could use two more of either. I will probably get two more of the analogs as the budget is kinda tight right now. It's getting kinda ridiculous at my place with six refrigerators and one chest freezer! I really need to build a walk in pretty soon.

Back