Target IBU's for a 15% ABV beer...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krid

Reaction score
Just fishing for some opinions regarding hopping of what I hope will be a really fierce 15% ABV Belgian loosely based on the dark strong style (Imperial Quadruple...?). I plan on aging it for a year (and more) and was going to target about 70 IBUs with all that in mind - about double the maximum for a normal dark strong IBU wise.

Belgians tend to ferment out drier than other styles, so will the 70 IBUs be too much or just enough to mellow out over the long haul, or not high enough.

Interested in hearing from anyone who has taken a crack at something obscenely alcoholic.

Thanks in advance.

Look at the BU:GU ratio, not the IBU number. A good ratio for a BDSA is .29.

So depending on your OG the IBU's will change. 70 IBU's is probably way too high. Take the IBU's and divide that by the OG.

For example. I just brew a quad with an OG of 1.095 and 27 IBU's. So take 27 and divide it by 95 and you get .284

I was having trouble finding any real info on hop character for quads or quads in general for that matter. So using the OG/IBU ratio I think I'll back it off to my original 35 IBUs.

35 IBU / 1.125 OG = .28

Right in the ball park of your quad.

Thanks for the tip!

Back