Kegged beer getting hoppier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWMOBrewer

Reaction score
I made a blue moon clone back in October and it was my first batch. I kegged it and have been slowly drinking it, but its been getting more and more bitter. It for a while got a ton better, and I was really enjoying it, but its been getting really bitter lately. The keg has been traveling from Maryville to Omaha a lot, and has even froze a few times. I have about a gallon to a gallon and a half of the beer left and now just want it gone so I can fill the keg with something else. Is the beer going to continue getting more and more bitter? or should it even its self out? I'm letting it sit at room temp while I'm out of town for christmas break, and I will hook my keg back up to fresh air when I get the money to fill my tank. If waiting will be the answer I may just bottle it from the keg once I get a stopper.

Im really not sure, If its a Blue Moon clone it should be very low IBUs to start with. It sounds like you have abused it a fair bit, but I dont know what could be causing it to get more bitter, generally bitterness fades with time. Is the off flavor a hoppy bitter or a medicinal bitter.

I'm not sure, i think a hoppy bitter. I will prolly just bottle it, and see what happens. unless it gets better over break. Its only a gallon or so left, i'm just trying to avoid it happening again. Yeah, i travel a bit, and since I kegged it, i just took the keg with me. Glad the corny kegs are small enough

Back