Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still haven't decided what I want to do with Fallout 4. As you've seen I completely misunderstood character advancement. Have not decided if that is good or bad yet.

I too tend to just live with my choices in games like these. Partly because I also tend to refuse to look things up, feels too much like cheating.

I know that if I were to restart I'd do a number of things differently, but nothing so differently that I couldn't change the course of the current game to get there.

I am at level 21 at about 35 hours in and have just picked up Nick.
Having a blast and haven't really picked any combat perks yet I can still slay death claws from a distance.
I have developed all my settlements to over 10 people each, some with stores.
I haven't used any of my 5 sets of power armor and 20+ fusion cores.
I am still wearing my vault suit with armor overlay.
The legendary weapons are very powerful, feels like cheating. I have a 45 pipe gun that does double damage if enemy is full health; one-shots raiders and ghouls all day. Can even one-shot a mutant if hidden; but I have a 50 cal that does bonus damage to mutants that I use for them.

Having a blast and haven't really picked any combat perks yet I can still slay death claws from a distance.
The legendary weapons are very powerful, feels like cheating. I have a 45 pipe gun that does double damage if enemy is full health; one-shots raiders and ghouls all day. Can even one-shot a mutant if hidden; but I have a 50 cal that does bonus damage to mutants that I use for them.

images

My sniper rifle is the Overseers what have you I bought from vault 88 or whatever the number is (the one you have to bribe your way in with cores). Supermutant sneaky headshot kills immediately.

Haha. Nice.

Have you had raiders hit your settlements yet? .

I've had raiders hit that little farm with only the two people in it. A couple turrets up there, and they haven't been hit since.

I've never been notified about settlements being under attack, however. I'm not sure how you get notified about settlements across the map.

I'm the opposite. I live with the choices on this play though. I rarely play a game twice because I know whats around the next corner. Once I beat this play through I'll probably start over or play the DLC when it arrives

I usually have SEVERAL playthroughs in games like this. I like to try out different playstyles. Power armour and big guns, with max intimidation? Stealth melee while wearing a tux and great charisma? Trench coats and rifles, trying to bribe what i can? The combinations are near endless.

I've had raiders hit that little farm with only the two people in it. A couple turrets up there, and they haven't been hit since.

I've never been notified about settlements being under attack, however. I'm not sure how you get notified about settlements across the map.

I usually have SEVERAL playthroughs in games like this. I like to try out different playstyles. Power armour and big guns, with max intimidation? Stealth melee while wearing a tux and great charisma? Trench coats and rifles, trying to bribe what i can? The combinations are near endless.

I think that if you have more defense than resources you should be okay. Or I read something like that somewhere.

At least 4 playthroughs needed in this game. 4 factions to join and going too far in one will make the other hate you. + however many more are added with the future DLC's

I think I've only had one attack on a settlement so far, and that was just a couple of peon raiders. Is there a certain point when they really start harassing you?

I had one attack on a settlement. But I had nothing there as it was. I only found out about it when it was over and it told me I failed to protect it...

I was doing fast travel between a spot I looted pretty heavily and my storage location during that time so I could have easily missed the message.

I must be getting old.

I don't really recall as much as I thought I had from the first fallout games. This fallout 4 reminds me a bit of halflife.

Installed it a couple days ago, but had no time to play until tonight. I got out of the vault 111 but that was it.
No clue what stats are the best to have or not. I picked up anything I could and read all the terminal logs that I could.
Seems that you are in an experiment and things go bad and your family dies (except the baby) before you thaw out, then you get to kill a few giant roaches before emerging into the world.

I am wondering if I might have missed something I was supposed to find in the vault, and if I need a strategy guide or something. Don't want to make bad choices at the beginning that will hamper me for months into this game, but my guess is that it will all work out just fine regardless.

TD

Tip:

When the game asks you to level up at the perk chart, don't forget you can scroll down (if you're on PC, just bring the mouse to the bottom of the screen it'll flow down).

The perks that are white outlines are perks you can't get until you level up the SPECIAL stat at the top of the column.

I was dumping stuff into the power suit stand at Diamond City and took some time last night to move it to another settlement that I have a supply line going to. I don't know why Diamond city doesn't have a workbench that you can set up with a supply line... or maybe it does and I just haven't got to that point yet.

I haven't really got into breaking down weapons and modifying them but I think that will be in the near future, I want something to give me a little more stopping power.
Do you just remove mods from the weapons you pick up or to you scrap them and get the mods that way?

So far the best armor I have is the Generals suit from the castle. Modifying armor is another thing I haven't got around to doing and seems like it should help but haven't got into that yet either.

I have like five power suits but only the first one you come across has any armor on it! Where the fck do you find armor for the power suit?

Someone said earlier that the castle would be a good settlement area, I only have 4 people there, no one has showed up there yet but I have 8-10 people at the other settlements. Now this might be because I haven't gone to check on some of the places in the quest yet. I've been on the Brotherhood of Steal quest and just cleared the satellite array area which was a bit of a PITA for me. Heading North from there to some bunker area, or at least that's the point I'm at right now.

Might have to try to get that perk that allows you to fast travel when you are carrying to much weight, I don't remember which one it is but I read that on one of the info things they show when your fast traveling. Walking that slow when your over your weight limit bugs me at times.

I was dumping stuff into the power suit stand at Diamond City and took some time last night to move it to another settlement that I have a supply line going to. I don't know why Diamond city doesn't have a workbench that you can set up with a supply line... or maybe it does and I just haven't got to that point yet.

I haven't really got into breaking down weapons and modifying them but I think that will be in the near future, I want something to give me a little more stopping power.
Do you just remove mods from the weapons you pick up or to you scrap them and get the mods that way?

So far the best armor I have is the Generals suit from the castle. Modifying armor is another thing I haven't got around to doing and seems like it should help but haven't got into that yet either.

I have like five power suits but only the first one you come across has any armor on it! Where the fck do you find armor for the power suit?

Someone said earlier that the castle would be a good settlement area, I only have 4 people there, no one has showed up there yet but I have 8-10 people at the other settlements. Now this might be because I haven't gone to check on some of the places in the quest yet. I've been on the Brotherhood of Steal quest and just cleared the satellite array area which was a bit of a PITA for me. Heading North from there to some bunker area, or at least that's the point I'm at right now.

Might have to try to get that perk that allows you to fast travel when you are carrying to much weight, I don't remember which one it is but I read that on one of the info things they show when your fast traveling. Walking that slow when your over your weight limit bugs me at times.

DO NOT SCRAP MODDED WEAPONS.

You must first remove the mods by equipping the "standard" mods. You may have to actually create the more basic mods (which are fairly cheap on resources) on many weapons in order to remove the better one.

You then have mods in your inventory (which can be transferred to the crafting table manually), which can then be used in other settlements if you have set up supply lines.

If you have 6 points in Str, you can then put four points into Strong Back, which allows you to fast travel unencumbered.

I think you have to scrap them for materials, but you can't just take the mod directly off one gun and add it to another. You need to upgrade perks like Gun Nut to be able to actually craft the mods.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw Venari's post. Good catch, man.

I haven't messed with the power armor too much yet, but you can craft mods at the power armor station same as with weapons or other armor. Unlike the weapons though, it looks like you can remove armor components (arms, legs, helmet) from one suit and add to another.

I haven't messed with the power armor too much yet, but you can craft mods at the power armor station same as with weapons or other armor. Unlike the weapons though, it looks like you can remove armor components (arms, legs, helmet) from one suit and add to another.

Yeah, I repaired it a few times doing that.

Is there a reason to remove the armour from one frame and put it on another frame? they all look the same.

Diamond city has weapon and armor tables (look between the shops). You can always build the tables in your house there too. There is a castle? I am going to have to find that.

Power suits. The frame is required to have the armor. Repair the parts (if they are fully damaged they dont show up on the armor, remove and mix and match to build your ultimate suit. Do you really need the backup suits? You can find armor pieces on various places and other suits and for purchase some times. Also, did you know that you can pickpocket the cores out of brother of steel knights and they will be forced to exit their armor. Then you can put it back in and yoink their armor. Muahahaha.

Yeah, I repaired it a few times doing that.

Is there a reason to remove the armour from one frame and put it on another frame? they all look the same.

There are 4 or more types of power armor. Raider power, and 4 different versions from the standard T-60? all the way up to X-1 which is the most powerful base stat version. When you get to higher levels mid 20s you should start finding better base version power armor.

Even though I had a really busy weekend, I made sure to get some solid time in on Black Ops 3. I would've liked to get into Fallout finally, but.. Ops did double xp weekend. When they do that, I can't pass it up. In the little bit of time I get to play, when it is double xp I can catch up to my friends who play a lot. Made it to Prestige 2 Level 30+ I believe. Got to play a few rounds with my brother which is always a blast. It changes the game completely. We're like the Mario Hammer Bro's, just.. with shotguns and combat axes instead of hammers.

I havent even bothered with the settlements or power armor. Guess I need to play with the power armor soon but I havent need it. I probably die less and go to places and face enemies that are tougher. I found a giant mutant but could not find it again with the power armor. Hope it isnt random (dont think it is). Will get back on it tonight. Didnt play it this weekend.

I havent even bothered with the settlements or power armor. Guess I need to play with the power armor soon but I havent need it. I probably die less and go to places and face enemies that are tougher. I found a giant mutant but could not find it again with the power armor. Hope it isnt random (dont think it is). Will get back on it tonight. Didnt play it this weekend.

Don't worry. Its rare that you need the armor. I mainly just use it when I find it until I can bring it back to my home base. Saving it and my cores for when I cant survive a situation. Go back for it, suit up, fast travel back and kick butt. Then clear out inventory and repair and go on with my normal armor.

I've had no need for power armor. So far I've only just consolidated them at Sanctuary. Th early sets look as if we should be fighting our way out of a cave with a flame thrower so we can launch ourselves into the desert.

At what point do we come across legendary NPC's more often? At most I've seen one or two Legendary Ghouls. I keep expecting to turn a corner and find mutants. And that damned two-headed brahma at sanctuary tricks me everytime.

I've had no need for power armor. So far I've only just consolidated them at Sanctuary. Th early sets look as if we should be fighting our way out of a cave with a flame thrower so we can launch ourselves into the desert.

At what point do we come across legendary NPC's more often? At most I've seen one or two Legendary Ghouls. I keep expecting to turn a corner and find mutants. And that damned two-headed brahma at sanctuary tricks me everytime.

Up your diffiulty a level or two. They show up more often. Survival difficulty makes a lot of changes, like weapon weight and reduces healing. The harder levels increase enemy difficulty and how often the legendarys come in. It is worth it.

I have been finding a lot of them around. If you go to the raiders dens there is always a boss aka legendary NPC. There is one that has a great armor and a bear head at the school house in town. Seems like ever building that has enemies will have a few of them.

I encountered a spot that was well over powered for me to engage. It had super mutants. One Boss skull super mutant, and his pet was a legendary star pet... I decided to stay hidden till they went back inside and not engage them at that point... Not 500 yards later did I run into two deathclaws... Was a very bad location for me...

Played some more Farcy 4 this weekend... Unfortunately, I acquired the MS16 assault rifle and put a red dot and silencer on it.

Yep, still a game breaker. You can snipe with it, fire off 15 rounds in no time and do so silently.

I'm having a hard time dying unless an errant animal attack takes place. Or a hunter flanks me unsuspectingly, which is much more rare than the random animal attacks.

Is there any reason not to scrap everything you can? I'm not talking about weapons, just stuff like mailboxes and whatnot. I'm still pretty early in the game but I want to make the most of this settlement aspect of the game.

Is there any reason not to scrap everything you can? I'm not talking about weapons, just stuff like mailboxes and whatnot. I'm still pretty early in the game but I want to make the most of this settlement aspect of the game.

I'd largely agree. But sometings like Doghouses are important to keep. I haven't gone full blown scrap yet, but I've scrapped all the mailboxes and things.

I made the mistake of downloading all the Skyrim DLCs for SWMBO recently (yeah, I know, I'm behind the times), so naturally she's been hogging the Xbox the last few weeks.

The only other "gaming" devices I have are an ancient laptop that's slower than molasses, and an iPad that's not much better. I ended up downloading a port of ChronoTrigger on the tablet, because I was curious what all the hype was about (20 years ago). Never been a huge fan of JRPGs, but this one's pretty fun so far.

ct05.png

I'd largely agree. But sometings like Doghouses are important to keep. I haven't gone full blown scrap yet, but I've scrapped all the mailboxes and things.

Doghouses are only important as a place to find Dogmeat if you send him away (change companions). Otherwise he defaults to the Red Rocket.

Doghouses are only important as a place to find Dogmeat if you send him away (change companions). Otherwise he defaults to the Red Rocket.

I thought I sent him back to Sanctuary, but then couldn't find him in any of the doghouses (there's like 4 there). I wonder if he went to Red Rocket instead. He's got some weapons and stuff I want back.

I actually scrap more than I sell. Especially with the scrounger perk maxed (you get more than just the basic components) Though Caps are nice for buying a few of the legendary weapons and armors from merchants.

I made the mistake of downloading all the Skyrim DLCs for SWMBO recently (yeah, I know, I'm behind the times), so naturally she's been hogging the Xbox the last few weeks.

The only other "gaming" devices I have are an ancient laptop that's slower than molasses, and an iPad that's not much better. I ended up downloading a port of ChronoTrigger on the tablet, because I was curious what all the hype was about (20 years ago). Never been a huge fan of JRPGs, but this one's pretty fun so far.

ct05.png

I still love that game.

Last time I played FO4. I actually saw the UFO fly and crash. That was pretty cool. Glad I saw it fly by. Now have the alien blaster to kill my enemies!

I am amazed by people who are able to switch back and forth between games. I buy a game, install it, and play it until I hate myself and my ruined life. Then, I walk away from the XBox for a few months. Then I buy a new game, and the cycle of hate repeats.

My current drug of choice is also Fallout 4. I spent (literally) 400 hours playing FO3, there's NO WAY I'm getting away from FO4 in less than twice that time, is my guess.

So far, I'm impressed by how developed the world is, and how many things can be collected and scrapped. I've only built up Sanctuary so far. Everybody else can just deal with their own shi*t, I'm mean hey: the Wasteland's tough, you know? I got bobbleheads to find.

I am amazed by people who are able to switch back and forth between games. I buy a game, install it, and play it until I hate myself and my ruined life. Then, I walk away from the XBox for a few months. Then I buy a new game, and the cycle of hate repeats.

I used to do this too. I have found I stay with a game longer if I take a break from it every now and again. I used to get to ~90% and then say "bless it, I'm tired of this" and move on. Now, I finish the games I most enjoy through periodic binges.

My problem is I binge for awhile. Get tired and put it up for a bit. Then I go back to it knowing now where I left offend have to start over. Lather rinse and repeat and I never finish these huge ass games

I go in spurts. I was playing Destiny until I got COC, played the campaign until I got to a spot that I kept dyeing and it pissed me off. I switched to FO4 and have been played pretty much every day at least a few hours except for the last couple day... no time to play. It kinda reset my addiction feel and now I don't feel like I have to rush home and get on the game. Which is good I guess... I do have a few more things I would like to do.

Like most I haven't played the armor unless I need to and haven't found a time that it's really needed but it does help.
I upgraded a combat shotgun and for clearing a building it's pretty awesome, I am only level two gunnut and at the end of my last play I took the level 1 science perk so I can start to upgrade the laser gun you get from the brotherhood (can't remember what it's called).
I also upgraded a sniper rifle that does a great job and hanging back and picking things off.

I have been selective on what I pick up now, at first I was picking up everything but now I'm kind of selective when I first start into a place. after I'm over my weight limit I start picking up everything, which always happens so I don't know why I bother passing things up. I just pisses me off to not be able to fast travel to a place I can store the junk where it's useful. So I end up dumping things into workstations or armor stations that I come across... Like I'll ever get back to it and get it. It's really not working out for me.

Some of the super mutants that just pop out of nowhere still take a ton of damage and keep on coming so I know I don't have the best weapons and really don't know which weapons to keep and upgrade, it seems like there is a pretty good selection of them.

I have been selective on what I pick up now, at first I was picking up everything but now I'm kind of selective when I first start into a place. after I'm over my weight limit I start picking up everything, which always happens so I don't know why I bother passing things up. I just pisses me off to not be able to fast travel to a place I can store the junk where it's useful. So I end up dumping things into workstations or armor stations that I come across... Like I'll ever get back to it and get it. It's really not working out for me.

Use your companion. They can carry some of the burden for you. Points in the Strong Back perk eventually allow you to run and fast travel though carrying too much.

However, I just find a container close to the entryway of whatever building I am exploring and dump everything in there periodically. Once the area is cleared, I start moving everything to sanctuary. The corvega plant took me 6 trips to move everything.

On the last trip back, before I move on to another area, I always hit the weapons and armor workbenches and either scrap or mod as I see fit.

I'm trying to run a power line from a generator to a water pump but the line never connects. It is also red. I read somewhere that you need copper. I've searched everywhere for copper but can't find it. Where do I get copper?

Latest posts

Back