Cider tasting a little bland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrall

Reaction score
Hello

Made a batch of cider about 3 weeks ago which is still in the demijohn. I syphoned a little to taste and it has next to no taste, and the little it does have tastes watered down.

It was made with

5l fresh apple juice
400g heather honey
small cup of really strong tea
yeast nutri
cider yeast

normally its really nice but this time its a bit off, is there anything I can add to it just now while its still in the demijohn?

It might age out, how dry is it? Also, you could always backsweeten with some apple juice then bottle pasteurise.

It might be the apple juice. Sweet cider lacks the complexities necessary for good hard cider. Is this the same juice you have used before?

If its the same recipe and process you've used before, then it is likely the juice, as Sashurlow said. I notice significant changes batch to batch, most likely traced to every batch of juice being a little different from the other. I think that is part of the charm of cider.

If you are making dry cider, I would let it age. Often dry cider will regain its apple flavor with aging and time.

As Oldmate said, if you are able to backsweeten with apple juice and then stop the fermentation, that will give you a sweeter cider and more apple flavor.

Back