Low Conditioning Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I made an American Pale with WLP001. Wort was aerated well and I pitched a very healthy starter.

The ambient room temp of my basement is around 64, so the temp was perfect for the primary phase of fermentation, as my carboy read about 68 degrees for the first 5-7 days. But now that the primary phase of fermentation is over and has moved to the secondary/conditioning stage of fermentation, the temp on the carboy is down around 65. Are the yeast still able to do their conditioning "jobs" if the temp is too low? Do I need to take some steps to get it back up to 68 to have the yeast do its job to finish up?

I made an American Pale with WLP001. Wort was aerated well and I pitched a very healthy starter.

The ambient room temp of my basement is around 64, so the temp was perfect for the primary phase of fermentation, as my carboy read about 68 degrees for the first 5-7 days. But now that the primary phase of fermentation is over and has moved to the secondary/conditioning stage of fermentation, the temp on the carboy is down around 65. Are the yeast still able to do their conditioning "jobs" if the temp is too low? Do I need to take some steps to get it back up to 68 to have the yeast do its job to finish up?

It's normal to have the the temp drop after main fermentation. The yeast will be active down to 60 and sometimes lower.

^^^^ +1 to what Clone said. WLP001 will work just fine at that temp and lower. I recently did a blonde ale with that yeast and primary fermentation was around 62 degrees and the yeast did their work admirably!

^^^^ +1 to what Clone said. WLP001 will work just fine at that temp and lower. I recently did a blonde ale with that yeast and primary fermentation was around 62 degrees and the yeast did their work admirably!

Thanks much - while we're on topic of fermentation, how long do you typically leave your fermentation go? I've been just leaving it sit for 3 weeks and then keg....

Thanks much - while we're on topic of fermentation, how long do you typically leave your fermentation go? I've been just leaving it sit for 3 weeks and then keg....

Many (most?) brewers here do something similar to you. For most beers that I brew, I wait sometime between 3 and 5 weeks before bottling. I also usually use a secondary or bright tank for the last week or two. But like i said, I think most people here just use primary.

If you are brewing big beers, high gravity and alcohol beers, you may need to leave it longer.

For an average beer 10-14 days in primary. A bigger beer I would let set sit for 2-3 weeks. Secondary times vary whether I'm dry hopping or just cold crashing. You can let them go longer with no problem.

Back