BYO's Founder's Stout clone question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jubilee

Reaction score
http://***********/stories/recipein...ounders-brewing-company-breakfast-stout-clone

Sort of a noob question, but I've not used oats before. The instructions don't mention oats specifically...should I assume to just steep them with the other "crushed grain" as per the instructions?

So...more flaked oats questions regarding the recipe above..

I just returned from the HB store and realized the only thing I forgot to buy is the oats! :drunk:

Can I just use the fancy bagged oats my wife buys for breakfast? This is a link describing the particular oats: http://www.krusteaz.com/brands/snoqualmie/faq_central/oatmeal/

Should I pulse them in the cuisinart a couple times before steeping?

Yes you can just use breakfast oats.

EDIT: I have changed my mind about this. Looking at my notes, I have precooked the oats, and not precooked them and gotten the same results in the past. So I say don't worry about precooking them. But you do want to mash them.

Yes you can just use breakfast oats.

EDIT: I have changed my mind about this. Looking at my notes, I have precooked the oats, and not precooked them and gotten the same results in the past. So I say don't worry about precooking them. But you do want to mash them.

Sorry for my ignorance...I probably should have posted this in the beginner forum.

When you say "mash" them, does it suffice to steep them in the grain bag with my specialty grains for 30 min @ 150F?

EDIT: I just did a quick bit of research. Looks like I'll be okay if I throw the oats in with my specialty grains and "partial mash" @ 150F for about 30 min, using 1.25 qt per lb of grains. Then rinse with 170F water and fill to boil volume. Please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Mashing is basically steeping with base grain...the base grains contain enzymes that differentiate this process from a steep, and make it a mash. These emzymes will break the starches down into fermentable sugars.

Just add a pound or two of 2-row malt with the oats (and any other grains you are steeping). Then steep as normal at 150-155 for 45 minutes!

Mashing is basically steeping with base grain...the base grains contain enzymes that differentiate this process from a steep, and make it a mash. These emzymes will break the starches down into fermentable sugars.

Just add a pound or two of 2-row malt with the oats (and any other grains you are steeping). Then steep as normal at 150-155 for 45 minutes!

Ahh, okay. Thank you!

You are welcome..if you want a better explanation, there is a great chapter in "How To Brew" by john palmer about partial mash recipes!

Excellent. Can you tell I skipped that chapter? :D

I'll review before starting the brew this weekend.

Excellent. Can you tell I skipped that chapter? :D

I'll review before starting the brew this weekend.

The book is availible for free online, but since it is condensed I think they omitted that chapter. I tried to find it to post it for you but it isn't on there!

He does cover the process pretty well, but if you are interested in the science behind it that book is great!

On the othere hand we have a FANTASTIC resource written on our very own forum that you can check out as well: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Sorry to bombard you with information, I just personally think understanding what is going on in the process is better than just going through the motions!

The book is availible for free online, but since it is condensed I think they omitted that chapter. I tried to find it to post it for you but it isn't on there!

He does cover the process pretty well, but if you are interested in the science behind it that book is great!

On the othere hand we have a FANTASTIC resource written on our very own forum that you can check out as well: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Sorry to bombard you with information, I just personally think understanding what is going on in the process is better than just going through the motions!

Thanks again! I actually do own the most recent copy of the book. Yes, I did skip that chapter! At the time I was only interested in extract with specialty grains. Time to crack it open again...and I'll definitely check out that link.

Back