Gear Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknunns

Reaction score
Lots of talk of gear but not a whole lot of talk about where to put it all. As I'm collecting more stuff my brewing drawer is turning out to be way too tiny! Wanted to take a poll to see where you guys are all stashing your stuff.

FYI I'm in a rented apartment with no garage and an incredibly creepy and dirty basement.

Get some lights and a broom/vacuum.

Basements make for some pretty temp stable Ale fermentation rooms.

Well there's also the problem of it being filled with the $h!t they tore up from a renovation before we moved in, as well as a bunch me and my GF's stuff that we're storing down there. There's also no running water down there.

I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has a killer toolbox / bin setup? Something that could be stashed in a closet?

The SWMBO was tired of the bakers rack in the kitchen area.. so I took that and put it next to a folding table. That holds most of my stuff.. I have a few of those stainless serving pans that I use to hold small stuff and a few boxes for bottles or whatever. All takes up one wall in a small room (and also holds all of my fermenting goodness).

I keep all my stuff in totes. The clear bins for keeping sweaters oversummer under the bed. But only because I need to get the cars in the garage too.

Aside from that, a LOT of my gear gets hung on a peg board, and I cleared a shelf on the garage workbench for chemicals.

I'd LOVE to have a basement.

My "laundry room" is a large closet off the kitchen. It's lined with wire shelving, so I keep all my brew stuff in there when it's not being used. Except the keggle and propane burner--those live in the gardening shed outside when they're not in use.

I'm lucky enough to have a garage (no basement, renting in a sixplex). But if I were you, I would start spending weekends cleaning that basement, getting it to a point where you can comfortably go down there. Maybe add some better lighting if that is an issue (I would be willing to bet your landlord wouldn't care if you are making definite improvements). Stable temps for fermenting, and great storage space. Yes, you would have to schlep the gear upstairs whenever you wanted to brew, but in my opinion it would be worth it. I like a clean and organized main house area.

I use the totes for the smaller stuff- one for brew day stuff and one for bottling day stuff. I have a 10 gal pot, and my 5 gal pot and wort chiller nest inside that. That's about as compact as I can get things.

Back