50A HERMS with BCS 460

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gatsby

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum, but here's my issue. I am trying to build my HERMS system, but can't seem to find a thread for a 50A HERMS system controlled by a BCS 460. The only thing I can find is a schematic for the 30A HERMS system. Is the only difference in parts and the wiring is the same?

If it helps, I am trying to copy the design from http://www.ebrewsupply.com/bcs/50abcs2panel.html

If anyone has any information on this such as schematics, parts list, or pictures I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!:cool:

I would expect the design of a 50 amp system should basically be the same as a 30 amp system. The difference would be components that have a greater current capacity.

30A and 50A won't necessarily be the same - with a 30A system you would have a single 5500W element. You *could* have two elements connected and have a switch between them, but personally that's a bit wasteful.

At 50A, you can have dual 4500W elements firing simultaneously - that's the big advantage. Back-to-back batches are possible if you've got a 3-vessel system then.

30A and 50A won't necessarily be the same - with a 30A system you would have a single 5500W element. You *could* have two elements connected and have a switch between them, but personally that's a bit wasteful.

At 50A, you can have dual 4500W elements firing simultaneously - that's the big advantage. Back-to-back batches are possible if you've got a 3-vessel system then.

That has nothing to do with the panel build. It has to do with what the panel can handle. He's not asking that.

The main difference is the spa panel breaker and the contactor in the panel. Just about everything else is the same.

The panel would be 30a vs 50 and the contactor would be 40a vs 63a.

From a control standpoint, they would BASICALLY be the same. He is going to have to scale to allow for the increase in power.

Device A measures Temperature X and turns on Device B.
When Temperature D gets to threshold Y open Valve #1 and turn on Pump #2.

Certainly starting with a 30 amp system and then make adjustments for greater power is an intelligent way to go.

Back