Do you think all grain takes longer to condition and mature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
I've noticed something with all grain versus extract and steeped grain and that is that it seems to take longer to mature. Fermentation and bottle carbonation is the same but the beer getting to that perfectly mellowed and blended flavour seems to take twice as long (2 months - 2 weeks primary, 1-2 weeks secondary, 4 weeks in the bottle). I attribute this to extract already having mellowed and blended before you use it whereas the grain needs another couple of weeks to hit that optimal smoothness. As I don't drink heavily (3-4 pints a week) this is a non-issue as I always have lots to drink... but I find it an interesting observation nonetheless.

Do you find the same thing?

Hmmm... can't say I've noticed this at all. In another month I may have some feedback on this topic with my recently bottled AG batch. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I have noticed some of my all grains take a little longer to condition, but not all. Not really sure what makes the difference. these are all beers with in the same OG. My wit always has a grainy flavor for a few weeks in the bottle then goes away after 3 weeks.

well, my first partial mash was a heavy grain bill and just 2lbs of DME to finish off the desired gravity.
it was quite drinkable out of secondary, and after a week carbing in the bottle, tasted awesome...not green at all.

I kinda wonder if something about your setup or process causes your AG brews to take longer to 'mellow' than extracts.

Ryanh1801 said:
I have noticed some of my all grains take a little longer to condition, but not all. Not really sure what makes the difference. these are all beers with in the same OG.

Funny that you would mention that because my ESB took longer than my IPA... the ESB being maltier of course and therefore more dependent on the grains. I would take it your wit relies heavily on the yeast and then the grain with hops playing a very minor role. This would seem consistent with my experience.

I have noticed a similar thing between my California common AG and extract/steep recipes when i first started doing AG batches, but the just in the past few batches i have not noticed such an improvement between the first bottle and the last.

Personally I think it has some thing to do with improving my Sparging techniques (Fly sparging vary slow) and utilizing a Whirlpool and hot breaks after the boil to remove the turb. It seemed to me that I was letting a little undesirable crap get in from each subsequent step, which would not be around if i was using extract ( or vary minimal), and that was making it take longer to mature.

It seams to be working for me.

I haven't noticed any difference in aging times. On the other hand, I rarely tap a keg before 2 months.

I've noticed that bottled takes much longer to mature - to get that nutty taste but keg beer I usually find is clear, tasty and fruity and well conditioned just like it is in the pub after being in the keg 2-3 weeks. The key in my experience to clarity and taste is storing the beer after bottling and kegging at a low and constant temp - ie 15C or about 60F

Back