question on exerpt from wikipedia about apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhody

Reaction score
I was looking at wikipedia's entry for apfelwein and came across this statement

"Sharp tongues from foreign regions claim that Apfelwein is a beverage that only starts to taste of anything after the seventh glass. This is possibly the reason for the more or less common cocktails with Apfelwein"

Is it true that it takes a few glasses to taste anything?

There's a huge Apfelwein post you might want to try... Edwort is the expert on this, he says to reserve judgement until your thrid glass, but I haven't heard anything about it having no taste.

I "brewed" (put together) my first batch last week and I can say that the sulfur smell is real, and it gets busy real fast, so I have no reason to doubt the thread.

Here it is if you want to check it out:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/
That's the shorter one... There is one out there that is over 120 pages, but this should answer you question...

- Micro108

"taste anything" is a relative term. it doesn't taste like water, but in my experience the flavor has been more subtle than those of commercial cider or homebrew. it's very dry.

here's the long thread, which has a lot of good (and unfortunately, a lot of repetitive) info.

do yourself a favor and make ed's recipe to the letter the first time. i liked it right off the bat.

I've given it to a couple friends and gotten responses ranging from "this is really good" to "this tastes like nothing, but not in a bad way". However, I used 1116.

I've used 3068 (hefe yeast) and am now doing a montrachet batch.

The 3068 had a bit of flavor, but the colder you keep it the milder it tastes.

The post above sums it up well, serve it super cold and it's just tasty and sweet. It gets "wine-y" as you warm it up.

Very good stuff, incredibly drinkable (maybe this isn't a good thing given the ABV :p). It isn't cider, it won't taste like cider.

Latest posts

Back