Any suggestions before I dump my batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grnich

Reaction score
9 days ago, I boiled my wort, cooled it to about 70F, then pitched the yeast. It was a dry nottingham yeast. Instead of following the directions, I just pitched it dry. After a day, I had no activity at all, so I pitched another batch. After another day, I did get some fermentation. My OG was 1.045, after a few days of fermentation, it was down to 1.03. I thought, great.

Now, after 9 days, it's still 1.03, it's totally stuck. A couple of days ago, I pitched a third batch of yeast to try to unstick it and stirred the wort gently. Took a sample and it was sweet. According to the recipe, the FG should be about 1.02. However, I don't intend to waste time bottling a beer that's sweet and has 2% ABV. Plus they might explode.

I'm thinking I might not have aerated it well enough. Any suggestions on how to get it restarted? Also, it's in the primary fermenter, so I'm getting worried about contamination with opening the cover so much. If I can't ferment anymore, I'm cutting my losses.

Thanks!

grnich said:
9 days ago, I boiled my wort, cooled it to about 70F, then pitched the yeast. It was a dry nottingham yeast. Instead of following the directions, I just pitched it dry. After a day, I had no activity at all, so I pitched another batch. After another day, I did get some fermentation. My OG was 1.045, after a few days of fermentation, it was down to 1.03. I thought, great.

Now, after 9 days, it's still 1.03, it's totally stuck. A couple of days ago, I pitched a third batch of yeast to try to unstick it and stirred the wort gently. Took a sample and it was sweet. According to the recipe, the FG should be about 1.02. However, I don't intend to waste time bottling a beer that's sweet and has 2% ABV. Plus they might explode.

I'm thinking I might not have aerated it well enough. Any suggestions on how to get it restarted? Also, it's in the primary fermenter, so I'm getting worried about contamination with opening the cover so much. If I can't ferment anymore, I'm cutting my losses.

Thanks!

Was there a krausen? Just because you're not getting bubbles doesn't mean there's no activity, it just means that it's slowed down. 9 days isn't enough time to judge it.

Cheesefood said:
Was there a krausen? Just because you're not getting bubbles doesn't mean there's no activity, it just means that it's slowed down. 9 days isn't enough time to judge it.

When I did get fermentation, there was a thick green foam, but my SG reading hasn't changed in about 5 days. It's just totally still.

EdWort said:
I'd rack it to a secondary and let it sit for a couple of weeks. It can't hurt.

I could do that to protect it from air, I guess. Should I stir beforehand to rack the yeast with it?

Just rouse the yeast again, then let it sit for another 4-5 days around 75F. Somethimes Nottingham will focculate too early. If that doesn't get it moving, rack it to a secondary and pitch some champaign yeast. It's slow, but should finish the ferment.

david_42 said:
Just rouse the yeast by stirring it gently, then let it sit for another 4-5 days around 75F. Somethimes Nottingham will focculate too early.

Thanks, David, but I did that a few days ago and pitched more yeast and still no movement in readings. Actually, my SG reading seems to have gone up a bit to 1.035, if that's possible. Maybe I misread. Heat seems to be an issue now as well. It's that time period after summer heat is gone, but before I turn the furnace on. Room is around 68F.

I think i'll rack to carboy tonight and put i a hotter room. I'm worried about contamination in primary too.

Not sure of your brewing experience but have you given it a little smell/taste? Seem "ok"?

Did you do a full boil? If you add a couple of gallons of fresh water to your boiled water you should have added enough O2 to get a decent fermentation.

You could try some yeast nutrients, but I'd say definitely get it in a warmer room.

desertBrew said:
Not sure of your brewing experience but have you given it a little smell/taste? Seem "ok"?

I'm pretty new to brewing, but it doesn't smell bad, and tastes a little sweet. Don't think it has contaminated yet.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Did you do a full boil? If you add a couple of gallons of fresh water to your boiled water you should have added enough O2 to get a decent fermentation.

You could try some yeast nutrients, but I'd say definitely get it in a warmer room.

No, didn't do a full boil. I estimate that I added about 50% tap. I aerated with a spoon. Next time I'll shake the fermenter...a lot.

Will go to a warmer room. Should I mix all the trub and yeast before transferring to carboy, given that it's not completely fermented yet?

grnich said:
If I can't ferment anymore, I'm cutting my losses.

DON'T THROW IT OUT!!! You lose absolutely nothing by waiting longer and possibly gain 5 gallons of tasty brew. As Cheesefood said, 9 days isn't enough to tell if it's still active. Move it to secondary, leave it alone for another 2 weeks and then check it.

Don't bother putting the fermenter in a warmer room. Nottingham likes temperatures in the mid-60s anyway.

In the meantime, since you've freed up your primary by racking to secondary, brew a new batch. If the first one doesn't turn out, you don't have to wait too long for the next batch to be ready.

Did we ever talk of what the recipe was? I had a belgium wit that took 6 weeks to finish...

desertBrew said:
Did we ever talk of what the recipe was? I had a belgium wit that took 6 weeks to finish...

Okay, I didn't throw out. Put in the secondary. Crossing fingers. Smells like beer!

It's a version of C. Papazian's Righteous Real ale that my local HBS had. Basically 6.6# LDME, 1# crystal malt, cascade bittering, and willamette finishing, 2 pkg nottingham. Says it ferments out in 3-4 days.

The original recipe called for 2 pkgs of Nott yeast. I only bought 1 and thought they'd be okay. I find this recipe strange now that I look at it. FG of 1.02, OG of 1.045? Don't think I'll try it again!

Thanks for everybody's help. I'll take reading in a week and update.

grnich said:
Okay, I didn't throw out. Put in the secondary. Crossing fingers. Smells like beer!

It's a version of C. Papazian's Righteous Real ale that my local HBS had. Basically 6.6# LDME, 1# crystal malt, cascade bittering, and willamette finishing, 2 pkg nottingham. Says it ferments out in 3-4 days.

The original recipe called for 2 pkgs of Nott yeast. I only bought 1 and thought they'd be okay. I find this recipe strange now that I look at it. FG of 1.02, OG of 1.045? Don't think I'll try it again!

Thanks for everybody's help. I'll take reading in a week and update.

according to my Papazians book your FG should be 1.007-1.010 and not 1.020.

BrewProject said:
according to my Papazians book your FG should be 1.007-1.010 and not 1.020.

Well, it's actually a recipe from my LHBS that's a version of that recipe. Not sure what they changed, but 1.02 does seem high. Think I'll stick to the recipe books from now on!

grnich said:
Well, it's actually a recipe from my LHBS that's a version of that recipe. Not sure what they changed, but 1.02 does seem high. Think I'll stick to the recipe books from now on!

1.02 seems awful high to me also considering the OG is 1.045...

best of luck :mug:

Sounds like you need a warmer place (70-72F) for the fermenter. Place it close to your water heater. After an hour or so check the temp (place a thermometer on top of the fermenter) to make sure it's not too warm.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
Sounds like you need a warmer place (70-72F) for the fermenter. Place it close to your water heater. After an hour or so check the temp (place a thermometer on top of the fermenter) to make sure it's not too warm.:D

It was in the basement at 66F or so. Brought it upstairs and put a cozy blanket around it. It's around 70f in the room. Maybe this will kickstart it.

I had a similar problem with my first batch, I am not sure if you wet the yeast before you pitched them but that usually helps.( 3/4 cup of water at 72f in sanitized container and put your dry yeast in that mixing it around until it foams up sit for 15 min) I would not recomend pitching yeast three times like you did that basically is wasting your money. They are active at 72f so if there is no activity try putting it somewhere warm you may even want to wrap a blanket around your fermenter. It should take off if it is warmer. If not go ahead and bottle it anyway, you never want to dump a beer unless it smells like poop, or your cat pisses in it or something. My first batch only bubbled for 6 hours, after I bottled it, I waited several months before drinking and got drunk as hell off it. also yes your beer will be sweet because the yeast eats the sugars so if the yeast is not active it will not eat your sugar sounds like a temp or a yeast problem your wort is probably good. If you do decide to pitch again try wetting the yeast, next time I would recomend using wet yeast like a smack pack or something I have never had a prob with them.

Back