Cold room temperature for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Howdy!
i tried searching, found nothing really :(.
Question being, if i have a large enough cold room and just want to throw my buckets/carboys in the room for fermenting, what is the best temperature to keep this at?
it will be strictly for ales, i mainly use nottingham and safale05 (sometimes others, but i like to keep it simple)
i was thinking setting the room around 62 or so, that way when fermentation takes off it will still be in the range of the yeast temps. (so as we all know, when it spikes, it wont ferment too hot)

Thanks! :fro:

That is a great temp for ales.

I can't wait for the weather to get a little cooler around here, because my basement settles in at about 63-64.

Yeppers that's about perfect. like you said just watch the temp on the fermenter itself.
I did it this way for almost two years and had zero issues.
Just converted an old chest freezer over with Johnson temp controller though. Hoping to start Lagering soon but in the meantime I'm doing my ales in it.
Prost!

Back