I Love Bud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most of us have a place in our hearts for light american lagers. It's what I started drinking beer with, and I've had countless fun times and adventures where that beer played a central role :). In the Navy, we'd get off the submarine and head straight to the nearest bar. Didn't matter what it was, we'd drink happily and appreciated each drop.

I've been brewing and have been a beer-snob since '95, and though I don't buy those types of brews anymore - they have a big place in my heart. In all that time of brewing, I've NEVER ONCE even attempted to make a "good" American Light Lager - because I don't think I have the skills to make a better one. I think it'd be a tough beer to make, and very hard to not overdue it on hops or whatever.

I think most of us have a place in our hearts for light american lagers. It's what I started drinking beer with, and I've had countless fun times and adventures where that beer played a central role :). In the Navy, we'd get off the submarine and head straight to the nearest bar. Didn't matter what it was, we'd drink happily and appreciated each drop.

I've been brewing and have been a beer-snob since '95, and though I don't buy those types of brews anymore - they have a big place in my heart. In all that time of brewing, I've NEVER ONCE even attempted to make a "good" American Light Lager - because I don't think I have the skills to make a better one. I think it'd be a tough beer to make, and very hard to not overdue it on hops or whatever.

Nice post. I've been trying to brew the perfect german pilsner for a few years now. When I get that perfected, I'll try a light lager. I think it's something all brewers need to eventually try to do. Odd, it's really one of the pinnacles of brewing.

I have been reading "Beer Is Proof That God Loves Us" and the author (name escapes me) emphasized that it is incredibly difficult to brew a light lager such as Bud where it has to taste exactly the same every where, each and every time. He believes that even if you don't like BMC, you really do have to give props to their brewmasters for their ability to produce their product under varying circumstances, (i.e. local water profiles, heat & humidity variations, etc.). Food for thought.

I laugh at people like this. If they need to pay twice to price to just enjoy a beer, then that is their prerogative. I can personally appreciate---nay, enjoy a light lager for $2 per 32 oz! And I can walk out of a bar happy with an amazing night with a tab under $10

Germelli1 said:
I laugh at people like this. If they need to pay twice to price to just enjoy a beer, then that is their prerogative. I can personally appreciate---nay, enjoy a light lager for $2 per 32 oz! And I can walk out of a bar happy with an amazing night with a tab under $10

GROSS!!!!!

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

FightingBob said:
Sometimes I wish there was was a "like" button on HBT. This is one of those times.

Sometimes I wish there was a "dislike" button on HBT. This is one of those times!!!

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

Sometimes I wish there was was a "like" button on HBT. This is one of those times.

thumbsup1.jpg
→

AZ_IPA said:
:confused: how is a light American lager not a "real" beer? :confused:

Just because you may not care for the style does not mean that's it's not beer.

Exactly.. And if u drink enough of them u will be drunk just like drinking a craft beer

My doctor says to drink 10 8 oz glasses of water every day. I substitute natural lite. And compared to my tap water I love it.

Water has it's use, but not for drinking. I use it to wash and to make beer. Others use it to make soda which I also drink. But straight water, NOT ME!

i know opinions are like ********, but i think all you all that cant stand this or that can suck it. the bmcers that cant handle homebrew suck just the same as the snobs that cant handle bmc. ill drink it all including the fn god knows what concoction of freaky ass fat tire sweet n sour brown ale i got in my primary.

I do agree with Calder back at the beginning of this thread, DMC's really cold are pretty refreshing, but I really cannot drink to many of them because I start to really taste the corn after awhile.

Just a meme observation:

A: BMC sucks.
B: Don't be such a snob, beer is beer and all styles have a place.
C: I'd like to see you brew a light lager, it's very difficult.
D: BMC is evil because it's all about brainwashing with media.

This represents pretty much all post types in any thread about BMC. Post "C" is the weird one for me because I don't think something that is hard to create is inherently deserving of more respect.

No!! Noobs( and me) should spend more time surfing the SEARCH block (top-right OP'sters) and use posts for relavent questions about brewing! (not taste), go put a review on beeradvocate if you have to!

I do the opposite actually. If I know someone at work is a BMC drinker, they DON'T get any of my home brew. I doubt they would appreciate it or hell, even like it.

Don't think I agree with this. While it would certainly be true for some (just as a real hamburger cooked off your grill would be spurned by someone who actually preferred a mcdonalds 'burger' (the meat of which I find to be without flavor), you would find more than a few would like the homebrew.
I always attend an annual BMW Motorcycle rally in north Florida in January, and lug up a handful of kegs of my homebrew. Those guys LOVE the homebrew, and the vast majority (only found a couple who weren't) were used to nothing more than the usual from AB, Miller etc.
In fact, most of them told me they never knew you could brew beer at home, or that it would be as flavorful.

The only response I can think of to the OP is attributed to P.T. Barnum: "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American people."

i gave a friend of mine some of my stouts so now he pretty much wont try any of my beer. never give a guy that only drinks bud a 7% + stout as a intro to your beer. i can safely say there not ready for it.

We have a brewing quote wall....fourth on the list is:

"There is no such thing as bad beer; just beer that I do not prefer."

(oh, and I pretty much primary everything that is not dry-hopped for 6-8 weeks then keg.)

Djanvk said:
I do agree with Calder back at the beginning of this thread, DMC's really cold are pretty refreshing, but I really cannot drink to many of them because I start to really taste the corn after awhile.

If I drink "too many" I can't taste anything cause I'm usually drunk. Just saying

Well i dont Drink BMC at all, Because well personally i have not found one that i like the taste of since i found craft brew.If BMC made a beer that i liked the taste of, i would drink it, but i have yet to find one.

I personally do not like McDonalds cheeseburgers. I think they are disgusting, and quite frankly they make me sick when I eat them. One time I saw my friend eating a Big Mac so I tackled him and started shoving my superior homemade burgers into his mouth until he admitted I was right. Then I stole his wife because she deserved a man with better taste.

Oh wait... I don't care what my friends choose to consume. He can drink a bud and I'll drink an IPA. We can still be friends. Hell, I'll even sit next to him at the bar.

When I was young (meaning I had to have help getting my beer) Coors Light seemed pretty bitter and strong.

After making several batches of Homebrew and drinking only "craft" beer, I discovered that Coors light was watery and nasty.

Now I can drink many of the brands of American Lager and enjoy them if the situation is right. I went from Amber beer, to Hophead, to Stout fan, and now I'm presently enjoying the lighter styles (along with the hops and stouts).

Hell, lately I'm even questioning whether I really like beer, or if I am only in this hobby to hang out with cool people like you guys!

If you worked for a living you would think more of light beers because when youve been working in the hot sun all day on the roof of some house when you grab something to take the edge off at the end of the day you really dont care about hops or malt you just want something refreshing. I make my own beer for special occasions and i keep Bmc in my fridge for when i just want something to drink. (im not a roofer anymore but its definatly the hottest job ive ever had that made me want some buschlight at the end of everyday)

I personally do not like McDonalds cheeseburgers. I think they are disgusting, and quite frankly they make me sick when I eat them. One time I saw my friend eating a Big Mac so I tackled him and started shoving my superior homemade burgers into his mouth until he admitted I was right. Then I stole his wife because she deserved a man with better taste.

Oh wait... I don't care what my friends choose to consume. He can drink a bud and I'll drink an IPA. We can still be friends. Hell, I'll even sit next to him at the bar.

Well Said!

I'm not a fan of BMC and I'm not afraid to admit it. I don't drink to get drunk, I just drink to enjoy the flavor of the beer. If I want a drink just to be refreshing I drink water.

I don't necessarily look down on people who drink BMC, but if they refuse to even try "dark" beer I can't take them seriously. Does that make me a beer snob? Maybe, but I'm not going to pretend to like something that serves no purpose to me and has no flavor.

Don't forget, it's not just BMC, it is BMCG! The regular Guinness draught has become as dull as a dry stout can get IMHO.

I know someone who is a hardcore BMCG drinker, but I managed to have this individual to taste a Porter I made and his comment was "taste like a kid's expectorant after almost spitting it out"

This beer turned out to be 5th place on the IN state fair with a score close to 40. Taste for good beer is something you have to develop and slowly fine tune it. It does take time and willingness.

I'm not usually a fan of BMC, and being in the college age bracket most of my friends try something like an IPA or a stout and find it disgusting. That being said, i can understand why people would like it. It's not even a lack of taste thing. Many people like the things they're used to, it's human nature. And everyone, including you Mr. OP started out drinking BMC. it's got its place, like people said, and Budweiser is to my knowledge the best selling beer anywhere. they must be on to something.

That being said, sometimes it is fun to be a beer snob

I like to brew beers sometimes for people who like bud and any light beer like that.

I used to brew for a lot of parties, and would always have one of the kegs filled with a light ale (maybe 20ibus, 1.045-50, with cascade hop flavor, like an APA's little brother) that had slightly less than an ounce of cherry extract, and slightly more than an ounce of rasberry extract added at kegging time. It was balanced very nicely and not overdone with the flavor at all. Not really my style, but damn - that beer was tasty.

It was ALWAYS the first beer to empty, as every girl (no offense.. ) went crazy for it, and every guy had to at least try it. ALL the kegs would go eventually though, with the darker stuff being last, naturally.

I went on a great, extended tour at the St. Louis AB brewery. Drank ice cold bud from a pigtail on a conditioning tank. It was truly enjoyable. It is a classic no matter if you like it or not.

I don't give people who drink american lagers or chickelob a hard time because I don't want to be "that guy" and force craft beer on anyone. Plus, I've found that people's tastes evolve over time anyway--I know mine did.

Many of my friends who drink Bud or Coors light that eventually try a lager with more flavor like maybe a Yuengling, Longboard, or Sam Adams Boston find that they like it.

To the OP, I bet you like hoppier beers now compared to when you first started brewing, amirite?

I'm not usually a fan of BMC, and being in the college age bracket most of my friends try something like an IPA or a stout and find it disgusting. That being said, i can understand why people would like it. It's not even a lack of taste thing. Many people like the things they're used to, it's human nature. And everyone, including you Mr. OP started out drinking BMC. it's got its place, like people said, and Budweiser is to my knowledge the best selling beer anywhere. they must be on to something.

That being said, sometimes it is fun to be a beer snob

I started with Guiness Extra Stout and Abbot Ale.

OMG!!! Make a light lager.......make it everyday ,without any off flavours.......with a constant taste!!!!!....I cant, you cant, 99% of the people on here cant!
So you dont like the beer! so what?

I can, but that is only because I am a master.

Really though OP, Why do people hate anything? Just live happily and if someone else likes something you don't...who cares? Live your life, enjoy what you enjoy, and relax.

Back